1. Kendall: It Starts With A Bet

Start from the beginning

Lilith gave her a sympathetic look, which only infuriated her even more.

"I don't," Kendall repeated.

"Come now, Kendall. I'm sure you would appeal to, um, certain men, but it might be a while before those offers start coming in. A long while."

"You don't know what you're talking about!"

"Don't I?"

"I can find as good a husband as you can. In fact, I bet I'll be married long before you meet someone who even comes close to your high standards."

"At least I have standards."

"Yes, we know, like you did with Logan Shaw."

Lilith stiffened. It was subtle, but the girls saw it all the same. "That was a long time ago."

Kendall rose to her feet, cocking her head at the other girl. "What do you say, Lil? How about a wager? You and me. First to marry wins."

"Lilith," she couldn't help correcting. She twisted her body, facing them squarely, and Kendall knew she had her attention. "What would be the stakes?"

Kendall paused, her red lips parting slightly as she thought. She glanced over at Grace and Rae, then scuttled towards the window.

"Kendall, where are you going?" Rae called. "We want to hear too."

"Well, you can't," she shot back. She went up to the window, standing close to Lilith. Beautiful Lilith, with hair like a red autumn, so long, it came down to her waist, and a face of perfect skin and  cheekbones. She was like a queen. An ice queen. 

Kendall had always hated her. She swallowed as she went over what she was about to say. It was something no one outside of the Harpers and Moores knew, and she intended to keep it that way, all her life. Making sure that Grace and Rae were out of earshot, she leaned over, whispering in Lilith's ear, "The debt. I want it gone."

Lilith raised her eyebrows into high, thin arches. "And what makes you think I can do that?" she whispered back.

"I know you can. Speak to your father, put up the money yourself - I don't care how you do it. Just do it."

Lilith released a tight-lipped sigh. "Alright. I suppose I can think of something. But that's if you win. What about if I win?"

"You're a Harper. Don't you have everything you could possibly want?"

"You'd think so, wouldn't you?"

"You'd better not ask for something ridiculous, like making me ride through Coser without my clothes on like Godiva."

"You know, your capacity for imagination never fails to amaze me."

"My point is, be fair. And realistic."

"As a matter of fact, you do have something I want."

A tiny muscle below Kendall's eye began to twitch, and Lilith looked she was trying not to laugh. "What is it?" Kendall asked tentatively.

"Sky."

"You want the sky?"

"Sky, your horse. She's the fastest one in Coser."

"But she was a gift from my brother."

"You asked what I wanted, and I named it."

Kendall looked away for a moment, tapping a hand on the windowsill. Behind her, Grace and Rae were watching intently, no doubt wondering at the terms being exchanged. "Alright."

"Alright?" Lilith perked up in surprise. "So we're agreed?"

"I'm up for it if you are."

"Oh, yes," she said confidently, extending a hand to shake. "You might want to reconsider though, if you know what's good for you."

Kendall stared at the girl's smooth, slender fingers, thinking of Sky, her beloved mare in her stable at home. The thought of Lilith Harper ever riding her horse filled her with loathing. On the other hand, this debt between the Moores and Harpers was humiliating. Erasing it would make things equal between them again. Or at least as equal as their families could ever be. "I'm in," she decided, putting her hand to Lilith's for a shake. "No backing out."

"No backing out," Lilith repeated in that slow, formal drawl of hers, making Kendall roll her eyes. Lilith leaned sideways, peering at Grace and Rae. "And you two are our witnesses."

"Except we didn't really witness much," Grace commented.

"It has to be a real wedding," Lilith told her rival, as their hands parted. "Engagements don't count."

"And no random boys plucked off the street."

"I should be the one telling you that."

"Ha ha."

"Best of luck," she said with an infuriating smile. She spun on her heel, the skirt of her gown swirling with the movement. Her hair swung with her too, and Kendall had to jerk away before it smacked her in the face.

"I don't need luck."

Lilith did not answer as she made her way out. Kendall breathed out heavily, clutching the windowsill so tightly, her hands became numb. What had she just done?