Chapter 2: Reprimand

Start from the beginning

Head Master Clara tipped up her chin at me, and gave me a sneer. She's never looked at me in that way before. What was happening here? "A new prototype invention for us witches when...one's magic is temporarily unable to be used. Some side effects may include powerfully masking your scent among other things. Since your magic is not controlled, we fixed it for you. You're on probation in the school."

 "I need my magic! I can't be on probation!" I shake my head, trying to think of this as a horrible dream I'm in. 

"We have already notified your parents, and they agreed to have disowned you for causing so much problems here without trying to better yourself."

I stood up. Now that was not something I would ever want to hear. "What! That's just-"

"Please sit down," Madam Clara ordered, but I wasn't hearing it. I needed to go home. Explain to my parents what happened. I couldn't be disowned for something like this.

I ran out the room, thankfully with no one stopping me. I only heard a shout from Head Master Clara, but I left in a panic. As soon as I get out the room, my best friend- I mean, sorry. Ex-best friend seemed like she was waiting for me. Like she's the one who's supposed to be sad.

What about me? Didn't I matter in this? What about my feelings?

"Freya, it wasn't supposed to be like this." Lainey started with me, coming in front of me, pleading. How could she plead like that and not feel any guilt is beyond me.

I only stared at her, wondering if I should laugh or cry. It's been only a single week since Brian and I were going out. Maybe not the cutest guy on the block, but I didn't let that deter me. Maybe he had poor fashion taste, but we all have our flaws.

Except his added flaw was cheating. A huge no. No matter what. Cheating is just one thing I would never in my life forgive anyone. Ever.

"You know," I shrugged my voice not wavering as I steel myself in. "You both deserve each other."

I walked away. Score one for being mature.

What hurt wasn't Brian's infidelity. Who cared about him. He was just some mage. My friendship with Lainey though? My best friend since I could remember hurt me the most. I would never show it to her. Her mom was the headmistress so it wasn't like we weren't going to not see each other. What did she think was going to happen? She made it awkward.

As I made my way to my dorm in a hurry, Brian's ugly face was sitting outside my building, waiting for me.

Seeing Brian right after seeing Laine wasn't in my bingo card this day.

"Freya, I love you." Brian was trying this whole deep look. It made him look constipated.

I rolled my eyes, sighing loudly. "No you don't."

"Um..." he trailed off. Clearly not expecting me to not care at all.

I give a finger waved as I inserted my key card to get into the dorm. "Toodles, ugly." 

Okay, it felt really good to name call him like that. It wasn't his fault he was ugly. I wouldn't have said that if his personality also wasn't as ugly on the outside too.

This is my second time walking away. Maybe I wasn't as mature as with Lainey, but there was just something about how he talked that made me mad. Love me? Who was he kidding? Himself?

I shuddered. I think I'm going to be single for a while. You know, find myself. Who I am. I mean, who am I without my family?

Getting into my room, I get my favorite suite case- a hot pink kind that can hold a good amount of items while being built like a steel box and super sturdy. It wasn't so expensive for no reason- it could handle a lot like getting run over. Well, that's what the company claims.