Chapter Eleven: Speak

11

I feel like I should ask Chris to talk about Christmas but, I'm afraid I'll be stepping over my boundaries. After all, I'm not his actual girlfriend. He's been totally silent on the matter. It makes me wonder if we're still going to Ivy's party this weekend. I feel like we are only so Chris won't disappoint Ivy. Seems like Ivy gets disappointed pretty often by her family.

I go into the break room and I see a couple of my coworkers. One of them named John says hello to me.

"Morning, everyone." I walk over to the fridge and place my lunch inside

John gets up and walks over to me, I give him a friendly smile. He looks at me and asks "So Charlotte, I was wondering what your plans are for New Years Eve? I'm going to see this great band and I was wondering if you'd wanna come with me?"

I go to answer but, Laura chimes in "She's probably going out with her billionare!" John looks at me. "What billionare?"

"Oh, I've been seeing Christopher Cerulli the last couple of weeks." I admit

John looks surprised "Oh! wow, that's uh, great! He's a lucky guy then. I didn't know you were seeing anyone yet."

Laura speaks up "It's been in the papers, they make a cute couple."

I grin and John says "I don't read the paper for the gossip, so I didn't know. Hey! I mean more the merrier right? Why don't you bring him along?"

I smile apologetically and say "Sorry, we can't. We have plans all weekend. Otherwise, we probably would." I know that's a lie. I just don't wanna hurt anyone's feelings, John's a nice guy. Maybe after my six months with Chris are done, i'll ask John out.

He nods and gives me a small grin, I look at Laura and a girl named Maddi. John clasps his hands together. "Alright ladies, I'll see you around. I've got a client in fifteen." He walks out of the break room and I look at the girls again. Laura silently cringes I quietly ask "What?"

"Girl, that was painful to watch. John's been wanting to ask you out for weeks. Probably since the minute you called off your wedding."

"Well what was I supposed to do? Tell him I'd go? I'm not available." I shrug

"No, You did the right thing. It was just painful to see." She says then stands up

I give a thumbs up and Laura pats my shoulder on her way out. Maddi follows her and I'm left alone in the break room.

I get through three sessions before I have a minute to myself. While I wait for my next client, I check my phone and I have a text from Chris. I open it and read it "My meeting this evening was cancelled. I'll be there when Malcom picks you up. Maybe we could do dinner?"

I smile and type "Absolutely. I'd love to see you." I press send then put my phone away.

Ever since I went to his office to apologize, Chris's been acting different. I haven't brought it up because I don't know if I should. He hasn't brought up seeing Alexandra at all. Just that she went and saw her parents for Christmas. I don't wanna ask him because it's not my business. Plus I don't wanna talk about the girl he's sleeping with. Especially not when I was ready to have sex with him the other night.

After work I pack my things up and I hear my phone buzz. I check it and it's another text from Chris "I'm outside. Come see me. It's raining, be careful not to slip. Don't forget to play your role."

I smile and text back "Okay, I'm coming."

I grab all my things and head out, making sure to lock the door behind me. I walk through the lobby and see the SUV through the front doors. I walk outside and see Chris looking as handsome as usual in his black and white suit. He stands under an umbrella and smiles at me, I hurry over to him and stand under his umbrella. I stand on my tippy toes and kiss him, He kisses me back passionately. It was as if we were alone and not on the sidewalk. I pull away and smile at him "Good evening, Miss Montgomery. How was your day?"