Chapter 22

**(Edited)**

Brody's POV

I feel numb, like everything has left my body. I'm not an emotional guy but she's gone. Grace is gone, and I don't know how to take it.

Beau's gone and now Grace is gone. I lost them and I can't function. Beau was my second dad, and then Grace was my second mom. That couple was my world, I spent as much time as I could with them. I'll miss her, and I hate that the last time I spoke to her was on the phone. On the stupid phone and we ended it by telling each other we loved the other one. But I'll miss her.

My phone starts ringing from the airport and Gemma reaches into my pocket and grabs it. I think she knows how I feel. I don't want to talk, I just want to see her for the last time. When I left, I didn't think she would pass away. She was perfectly fine and happy and she just died.

I wipe my face and I don't hear her until she hands me my phone, "Brody it's your mom" she whispers as she hands me the phone. She holds it to my ear as I grab it.

"Mom" I whisper as Gemma grabs my free hand and we keep moving through the airport. We make it to the waiting area as my mom starts.

"Brody I'm so sorry about GG. Gemma told me you're both on the way here but I want you to know that I love you. Everyone is coming into town and your rooms ready. I'm sorry." She tells me as I stay quiet.

"Love you mom" I whisper before hanging up and putting my phone in my pocket. Gemma holds my hand as we walk into the gate and onto the plane.

We sit down right next to each other after waiting a while and she takes our bags and puts them in the overhead compartment.

"I called your coach and told him you'd be gone for the rest of the week." She whispers sitting down and holding my hand. I stay quiet and nod as I look out the window. I don't know why I'm shutting down, but it took me three months to get over Beau's death and I know it's going to take just as long to get over Grace.

"Will you talk to me?" She asks while holding my arm as I shake my head no and look down at her hand.

"Brody please tell me how you feel. I can't help if I don't know, don't shut me out." She whispers while the plane fills. We both get looks from people knowing who we are and I don't speak to anyone.

"Grace and Beau, were-, my second set of parents. We called her GG, because I couldn't say her name. Beau taught me how to play football along with my dad and everyone else. I have Beau's number because I spent every summer since I was fourteen with him. So GG, and Beau were close to me. I was the only great grandchild that they were with almost twenty four seven. I know I'm taking it hard, but my aunt Tayson is probably going to fall apart." I whisper as Gemma lays her head on my shoulder.

"Thank you for telling me" she whispers while rubbing my arm.

"You can tell me anything and I promise I won't judge you. Brody I know it's hard but I'm here for you. Whatever you need I'm here." She tells me as I lift my arm. I throw it over her shoulder and pull her into my side as she lays into my chest.

I hold her and she holds me and stays still and breath is her rose smelling hair. The whole flight is quiet. I don't talk and she doesn't talk to me as she holds me. She rubs my arm the whole time and just stays completely quiet as I breathe in her.

I'm so happy she's here with me, and she's not giving up on me because I know I have a hard time opening up. I have never opened up in a relationship and I'm trying my hardest to for her.

An hour and forty minutes later we land in Atlanta. It's quiet as we stand and I grab all our bags from the overhead compartment. We walk out and to the baggage claim quietly as Gemma rubs my hand. She steps forward and takes our two bags as we walk through the airport.