Chapter 12

**(Edited)**

Gemma's POV

After getting to work and submitting my finished samples I can finally breathe. I haven't taken a vacation since this company started when I was six, and now I'm beat. I'm ready to finally take a day or two off and breathe.

Walking into the hospital I find my moms room and knock before I enter. When I do though, I see my mom. Standing up out her chair.

"MOM?!!" I ask as loud as I can as she turns and smiles at me, "Hi Gem!" She tells me as she smiles and blows me a kiss. She leans over grabbing her bag and shoes before sitting down.

"What are you doing standing up and packing your stuff?" I ask as she smiles.

"I'm leaving" she tells me as I look at her in shock, "Come again?" I ask as she nods and continues packing her bag.

She starts saying, "I'm leaving this hell hole. My immunotherapy has really given me a boost of energy, and the doctor thinks I'll make a full recovery in a few months, that being said I don't have to stay here anymore. I can take pills, and I'll have to come twice a week for treatment. Ready to have a roommate again?" She asks as I smile immediately and run into her arms hugging her as tight as I can.

"Mom that's so good. I'm so happy!" I tell her as I hug her as tightly as I can. But then it hits me, my apartment is covered in makeup products. Oh hell, what am I going to do?

"You never answered my question, can I stay with you?" She asks as I nod immediately and smile.

"Why do you ask that? You know you are more than welcome to. I've missed you so much mom, let's get the rest of your stuff." I say to her while packing up her items. I grab her bathroom duffle and pack it up as she folds her clothes. She still had her room in the apartment and I haven't changed much since she's been gone besides the accents being pink and blue pastel now.

Before she's allowed to leave we get a release order, and I take her with me to the pharmacy to get her medication. It's a lot, which I'm not surprised about, but if this makes her better I'll help her take it exactly when she needs to.

I walk her to my car as we get in for the first time in a year. "So what do you want to do now?" I ask as she holds my hand. I smile at her wrapped head as I rub her hand back. She looks so healthy now, she looks better than she has in months. I wish she would have tried immunotherapy months ago if it makes her feel this good.

She's still a weak and she most likely will be for a while but that's okay, as long as she's healthy and alive.

"I'm kind of tired, can I go rest?" She asks as I nod immediately and drive towards my apartment. I hold her hand and drive as she smiles, "I haven't ridden in this car in over a year. The city looks different." And tells me as I smile.

It is different, it's a lot bigger. A year makes a difference. I pull into the apartment a couple of minutes later as she smiles and we walk through the building together. She of course greets all the people she hasn't seen in a while as they do the same.

"Mom, when we get up you have to give me a minute before you go in. There's stuff everywhere." I tell her as she sighs.

"Gemma, I've seen all the products what's the big deal?" She asks as I look at the elevator doors as we move up. The problem is the packing samples are sitting on my kitchen table.

"Just wait outside for a minute and I'll explain later. Please?" I question as she sighs, "Fine".

When we get to the floor I help carry her stuff and my heart stops when I see Brody's door open and he walks out wearing grey Giants sweatpants and a sweatshirt. He runs a hand through his hair as my mom taps my elbow over and over again.