Chapter 15

**(Edited)**

Gemma's POV

I can't breathe, I can't function all I can do is feel vomit rush up. I sprint to the bathroom around the corner with Brody on my heels as I open the stall and launch at the toilet. He doesn't even knock before opening the door and holding my bun to make sure I'm okay.

He rubs my back as I sob and I puke up all my dinner from last night. I can't believe this, why didn't she tell me that her treatment wasn't working? Why didn't she let me know? I continue sobbing as Brody rubs me and then he picks me up and sits me on the countertop as he grabs a paper towel and wipes my face. He cups water in my hand before I swish it around and spit it out, only for my cries to continue.

I don't have words for what I just found out, my mom is sicker. She's so sick.

"Gem, I'll be right here, every step of the way. I'll be here no matter what." He tells me while rubbing my back as I lean forward and hug his neck. He ran into the women's bathroom for me, and after everything he's done today, he's just perfect.

"Brody I don't deserve you" I whisper wiping my tears as he moves his hands down to my thighs and rubs them. It feels so good I get chill bumps, and I immediately calm down.

"Gemma, I didn't plan to meet you, but I can't deny that we are attracted to each other, and I'd do anything for you. I like you a lot, and I know you like me. We're perfect for each other in every way possible, and I promise I'll be here for you and your mom. I'm not going anywhere." He tells me as I wipe my tears that fall on his neck.

"Now come on, your mom needs you" he whispers at the end as he lifts me up like a child and sets me on my feet. He kisses my forehead before I walk back to the doctor and ask to see her. She's in recovery and should wake up soon, so I walk to her room and sit down holding her hand. Brody takes the chair next to me and rubs my thigh as I wipe my tears away.

We don't talk at all as I lean my body weight on top of him and he holds me. I've always wanted a man to do this, there's nothing sexual about this, he's just holding me and making me feel secure.

He holds me for two hours until my tears go away and we see my moms eyes open. I stand up immediately as she opens her mouth to talk and tells me she wants water. I grab some and give her a straw and cup of water as she sips it and sighs.

"Gem baby" she whispers while rubbing my hand as I shake my head no. Brody takes it as his time to exit and walks to me, "I'm going to go get us some lunch." He tells me while rubbing my hip and kissing my forehead.

"I'll be back later, I'm glad to see you okay Trish" he whispers to her rubbing our hands as he walks through the door. He knew we needed time, and I love that he knows that already.

"Gemma I'm okay" she whispers as I start, "No you aren't. You're treatment is not working and you only have one more to try! I trusted you mom and you lied to me about immunotherapy so that you would get out of here and then you won't wake up and Brody and I have to rush you here! You aren't okay mom." I tell her as she wipes a tear that falls from her eye.

"Gemma, come here" she whispers tapping the side of her bed and moving over for me to fit in next to her. She rubs my face as she starts, "Gemma I want to enjoy living with you because I love you. Gemma, you are the woman I knew you could be and I don't want you life to stop because I'm sick, I just want to be there in the shadow watching you do your thing." She whispers as I shake my head no.

"You will not be in the shadow mom, you're my best friend and if this wouldn't have happened you wouldn't have woken up one day and I wouldn't know why." I cry into her shoulder as she nods.