Chapter 14

**(Edited)**

Gemma's POV

"GEMMA SABRINA ASHTON!" I hear time I step foot into the apartment door and shut it behind me. I quickly hand my mom the plastic container full of leftovers and walk away but that doesn't stop her from coming up behind me and turning me around. I place my flowers on the countertop as she looks at them and back at me. I love them, they are a perfect mix of pink and red roses.

"That boy is not your friend! I saw you kiss him and he slapped your ass! I want details and don't lie to me I've been up all night waiting on this!" She tells me as I look over at the clock and see it's already 11:54 at night. I guess time really did fly away when I was with him. We just talked though, and I opened up and kissed him and it was perfect.

One thing for certain is that Brody Theo Kingston is one catch of a man and I happen to enjoy his company and I think he's intriguing.

"Mom it was a date and it went well" I tell her while grabbing a class of water. After dinner, Brody and I watched TV for a while before washing dishes and sitting down to the dull noise of the TV in the background and all we did was talk, until I ended up on his lap and we made out for a solid hour. I feel for the first time in a long time, that a guy respects me and wants a relationship that isn't about lies and looking good together. Brody makes me feel good about who I am and he makes me happy.

I'm finally happy, the happiest I've ever been. Even if I had to cry and get hurt to get here, he makes me so happy.

"Gemma! I want details!" She squeals sitting down on the barstool as I lean over the countertop.

"I like him a lot. More than anyone ever before. He makes me feel different and when I talked to him he just listened and smiled. He asked me to be his girlfriend and we are just going to keep it quiet right now." I tell her grabbing a vase and filling it with water. I set the flowers in it as she looks at them. I love these flowers, Christian never bought me flowers except one time after I asked him to. Brody did it without hesitation and he left the price tag on them without knowing it and these were over a hundred dollars.

"They're beautiful Gemma, he knows your colors" she tells me as I smile. I love pink, white, red and a light blue color but I love these because they came from him.

"You like him a lot don't you?" She asks as I nod and look down at my hands.

"Who else would I have spent four hours making dinner for?" I ask as she smiles and walks over and kisses my head.

"Gemma you're the smartest woman and I'm so proud of you. I know that Christian was hard for you, and I don't want that happening again but if you truly feel that Brody's special than he's worth it. By the way, Brody is like a total football players name." She tells me making me laugh as she rubs my shoulders.

"You look happy Gem, and I haven't see you smile this big in a year. Don't go through your life wondering what if. What if I dated him? What if I fell in love? What if I didn't? That's so much worrying and stress. Honey, it's like my cancer I'm not wondering what if I die? I'm wondering what if I see Gemma get married before I die. I don't want you to regret not doing something. I know Christian hurt you, but I don't think that Brody would do that to you. He seems like a truly nice young man. If you don't open up you are never going to be satisfied with someone else and it takes time. This might have something to do with your sperm donor, and Christian but Gemma not all men are bad and I just want you happy." She rasps out to me and when she ends tears are formed in my eyes.

"Mom you aren't going to die" I whisper to her as I hug her into my arms and rub her bald head. I will never be able to live with myself if she died. I love her so much, I couldn't function without her.