What could have been - Ned X Reader

I have wanted to come up with a Ned Stark imagine for so long, because not only do I like Ned, but I think that Sean Bean is just wonderfully down to earth guy. And as I haven't seen another sort of romantic Ned imagine, I wanted to give him one of his very own. I have sort of set this before Brandon died and Ned and Catelyn were betrothed, so I won't be ruining Ned's perfect image as a wonderful father and husband. Please enjoy. 🐺

Ned made his way down towards where his sister Lyanna lay at rest. He would often come down to the tomb, lighting a candle for her as he would sit and think about the family he had lost. It had been many moons since Brandon and Lyanna had passed, but Ned had always felt their lose keenly, especially hers. The fact that Lyanna had died in his arms seemed to make losing her particularly tough, and having her son there, brought into the family as his own bastard, would remind Ned every day of what could have been.

But this night he had not come to see Lyanna, although he would still pay his respects. Instead, he had come to find another tomb, a tomb that he would come to see on the same day every year. For today was the anniversary of her death, the day that he lost his true love. The day he lost (Y/n) Baratheon.

Ned and Robert had always been close, during their time growing up under Jon Arryn's roof, the two men had become more like brothers than friends. And as Robert had loved, and was betrothed to Lyanna, Ned had loved, and was betrothed to Robert's sister (Y/n).

They had only been young when they first met, (Y/n) a mere slip of a girl. But from the first moment Ned had seen her mop of messy dark hair, her perfect smile, and the wicked little glint in her eyes, young Ned had been smitten.

(Y/n) was unlike anyone Ned had ever met. She was wild and unpredictable, a free spirit, and unlike Lyanna who was more a lady, (Y/n) could always be found up a tree or covered in mud. Refusing to wear gowns, and hiding from the servants so that they couldn't make her bathe. If there was a fight to be had, (Y/n) would be at the center of it, and if there was any kind of trouble, you could be sure (Y/n) had caused it. But all these things just made Ned love her more. And as the pair grew, so did their feelings for one another. The two spending every spare moment that could together, living and loving as if it were their last moment in the world. The pair marrying as soon as Ned had been able to pay for the Septon to wed them in secret. And despite everything, despite his love for Catelyn and his children, Ned had never forgotten (Y/n). Their marriage. Or their child.

Slowly Ned made his way through the darkness. It was a familiar trip, and he knew the way like the back of his hand, but tonight's journey was more somber than most, and the night seemed darker than most. For tonight he had to say goodbye.

Despite the fact that (Y/n) should have been buried with her own ancestors, Ned had refused to let Robert take her. Refused to let her leave his side even in death, and instead had prepared a place for her not far from where Lyanna and Brandon lay. And even though Robert had not been happy about losing his sister, he had always believed that her husband should be able to have her with him.

Catelyn knew of (Y/n). Knew of the love her husband had for the doe. Knew of their marriage, the grave, and the child that had vanished. She had come to terms with the fact that neither of them could in truth compete with the ghosts of those that had passed, and would always allow Ned to mourn for the woman he had lost. For the love that he had lost.

"I'm not here ta see ya tonight." Ned said quietly, as he lit a candle and placed it on Lyanna's grave.

"Its that time of year again. I've come ta see (Y/n)." Ned continued, as he kissed his fingers, and placed the loving kiss on his sister's tomb, before turning to head deeper into the depths of Winterfell.

Ned raised the candle. The flickering light catching the stone visage of the figure that lay motionless atop the tomb. The likeness to the woman that slumbered in the vault, almost perfect.

Ned could swear that every year her face looked more exquisite, more perfect than the year before. And he couldn't help but think of what could have been. What his life would be like if she had not been killed by the Mad King. If their child had not been cut from her belly at the moment of death and taken by the mad dragon, to do with, only the gods knew what.

"Hello, my love." Ned whispered, as his moved closer, the old wolf leaning down as he gently kissed the frozen lips of the marble effigy.

"I am sorry that I only come ta see ya once a year. I know I should come more often. But truth be told, I don't think I could take it." The Warden of the north said almost apologetically, as he lay the small bouquet over the likeness of (Y/n)'s hand. His fingers ghosting over the figure of a small child that he had had carved into one of (Y/n)'s arms.

"I wish I hadn't lost ya that day. That I hadn't lost our child that day. I should never have let ya go with my father and brother when you were summoned ta Kings Landing by Aerys. It's all my fault." Ned told the figure, as he brushed a tear from his eye.

"I know I shouldn't. I know that if ya could talk, that you would be happy for me. Happy that I had Catelyn and tha children. And I am happy. But you and our child are always in tha back of my mind. Tha what ifs. Tha what could have beens, always linger like dark wraiths in tha shadows of my mind. Even after all these years I still wish ya were ere, (Y/n). That it was you by my side. That tha children were ours. But fate did not smile on us love, and all I have left of ya and our child is this stone effigy. This cold piece of marble that should be warm flesh and blood. With sparkling eyes, and a perfect smile." Ned finished angrily, as he banged his fist violently on the side of the tomb. The lord angry at himself for still feeling like this even after all these years. Still feeling this despite all the love he had from Catelyn. Angry at allowing Aerys to take (Y/n) and his unknown child from his life. Angry at himself for not having protected the woman he had loved.

"Ya brother has called me ta Kings Landing ta be his new Hand. I leave in a few days, with Sansa and Arya. Sansa is ta marry Robert's son, Joffrey. I don't think you'd like tha boy much. He's a coward and lacks any kind of morality. And I know that ya wouldn't like Cersei. Ya never did trust tha Lannisters. But there again, ya always were a good judge of character, my love." Ned said softly, calming himself as he smiled down at the perfect likeness.

"I'll see ya again soon, (Y/n). I love you." Ned told the image of the woman, as he slowly turned and left. The Lord Paramount of the north vanishing back into the darkness, not noticing as a single perfect droplet of water, rolled like a tear from the eye of the effigy. The stone figure already lamenting what fate had in store for the man that (Y/n) had loved.