TWENTY-ONE 」BAD DEAL

AS DAHLIA WAS forcibly dragged into the room, she let out a fierce yell. "Let us go!" Her voice echoed through the chamber, but its impact was lost on the heavily guarded door that slammed shut behind her and her companions. They were thrown onto the cold, hard floor and pushed onto their knees, forced to look up at their captors.

Y/N let out a grunt, their voice laced with sarcasm. "I find that screaming at the top of our lungs is an exercise in futility." Despite their circumstances, they retained their sarcastic wit.

Dahlia let out a sheepish laugh, acknowledging the futility of her actions. "I was trying." The two of them exchanged a knowing look, rolling their eyes in unison. Meanwhile, Philip and Lilac muttered unintelligible things under their breaths, a quiet protest against their circumstances.

As they lifted their heads, Y/N's gaze fell upon the figure of the crown prince and his cherished companion, the ever so vengeful Lisette. With a scowl marrying her otherwise perfect features, Lisette met her gaze with a look of disdain. "You again," the Marchioness spat, their voice filled with venom. The situation was dire, but Y/N's spirit was not broken.

"Glad you recognised."

"Yeah, your wrinkles are hard to miss."

"Still annoying as ever."

"You know it."

"Enough with the bickering!" The Crown Prince roared, his anger prominent as he slammed his cup onto the table with a resounding crash. With a swift movement, he rose to his feet, towering over the others in the room. "Lock them somewhere," he commanded his guards, "Leave the Marchioness."

Lilac's shrill voice cut through the room like a knife, refusing to be silenced. "No!" she protested as she was dragged to her feet, pulled towards the door.

Y/N's eyebrows arched in a suspicious manner, as they curiously observed the prince's actions. "Funny, you still kept that title of mine." Their voice was calm, measured, and filled with a hint of amusement.

The prince's eyes narrowed, his expression cold. "Funny, you confidently admitted you're the Marchioness." A sly smirk played at the corners of his lips, as he met Y/N's gaze with a glint of amusement in his eyes. Despite the dire circumstances, there was still an underlying game of wit and intelligence being played between the two of them.

"I mean, who else could you be calling a marchioness? I know for a fact that Lisette is kicked out of her own estate. Demoted check, huh?"

"Stupidly brave, I see."

"Can you please just let me go? I don't even know why the hell I'm here." Y/N said, pretending to be innocent. Maybe it was worth the try?

"Don't be silly. We want you to do something for us."

"What is it?"

"H-"

"No, thank you." The crown prince pulled her hair aggressively and grumbled. She yelped in pain as she frowned.

"Tell us how the council became young again."

"I don't know," she lied, her voice trembling with fear. She could feel the pressure of the man's gaze upon her, and the weight of the truth she was trying to conceal. Tears welled up in her eyes as she cried out a falsehood that might save her life, at least for the moment. "It all happened so fast and we just woke up to everyone describing us as the council. We only remember so little."

The man studied her carefully, his eyes boring into hers as if searching for any hint of deception. But Y/N was a skilled liar, and she didn't blink, holding her gaze steady. Eventually, the man seemed satisfied with her response and let her go, turning away from her with a shrug.

"What did you see after you died?" he asked, his voice filled with curiosity.

"Just an endless void," Y/N answered, lying once again. "And then a force pushing me. I fell down and woke up." She continued, her voice steady and convincing. The man was convinced, his frown softening into a look of vague disappointment.

"You're not useful at all, are you?" he questioned, his tone filled with frustration. The girl remained silent, not daring to answer. Her body was trembling with fear, as she tried her best to hide it. Y/N was afraid because she had seen so much blood and violence in this strange, new world. Guns, chains, blood, and blades. She was not used to this kind of life, and the fear was taking its toll on her.

A tear escaped her eye as Lisette laughed in amusement. "You do cry!" she exclaimed.

"Oh, shut up, you immature wimp." The marchioness muttered. The older woman hummed in response and arched an eyebrow. She turned to the prince and spoke, "You have her in your hands, held by the chains that you own, Your Highness. I suggest you kill her this instant for she's a threat to the throne."

"Close your mouth. I have better things to do with her." "But, you must or the council will-"

"The council, of course!" the prince shouted and turned to the silent girl in chains. "What?" Lisette asked.

"You, girl. You must join my court!" he suggested, making the woman next to him shout outrageously.

"What?!"

"What?!" Y/N exclaimed.

"Join my court and help me rule. Help me earn gold and glory. I shall do you a favour in return, but no, not freedom."

"Are you serious? That's a bad deal. Why would I even-" she was cut off when he swiftly hit her cheek with a sting.

"It is not a deal, you hear me?! Join me or you die!"

"No." She firmly answered. He grabbed her chin, tightening his grip like crushing her skull.

"Why are you not scared?!" he barked, his voice shaking from anger. The girl closed her eyes shut as he did so, ignoring the showers of saliva from a dog before her face.

"I can be reborn just like I did now," Y/N answered, her voice filled with determination. The man was taken aback by her words, his eyes wide with surprise. He took a step back, freeing her face from his grip. He took a deep breath and looked away, his mind racing with new thoughts and possibilities. Maybe she did have some connection to the dark arts, just as Lisette had claimed. He knew that he would have to be careful and step up his game if he wanted to get the upper hand in this situation.

Turning back to the teenage girl, he narrowed his eyes and spoke with a menacing tone, "Do as I say or I will do my best to kill your every companion. Starting with the three in our dungeons." The words hit Y/N like a physical blow, and she could feel her heart racing with fear. She knew that killing the council members would be nearly impossible, as they were skilled, intelligent, and courageous. But her children, they were vulnerable in this uncertain world. Her eyes showed the fear and uncertainty that filled her soul.

The prince saw this and smirked, knowing that he had found Y/N's weakness. "Everyone you have ever cared about will rely on your choice," he repeated, his voice cold and calculated.

"Fine! What do you want me to do?!" The girl yelled in defeat, the fear and desperation clear in her voice. A loud sob escaped her lips as Lisette stood in the corner, observing the scene with a mixture of fear and satisfaction. She had never felt more afraid of the prince, nor had she ever seen Y/N so vulnerable. She always thought of her as a strong woman, but now she was different, broken by the prince's threats. Lisette felt a tinge of pity in her heart, but she was also relieved to see Y/N in pain, just as she deserved.