A Night Out For Ice Cream

Start from the beginning

“I hear them but I don’t see them.” Billie looked in the rear-view mirror.

“They’re coming up behind us.” We’re not speeding or anything. Billie started to pull over but the cop flew by. “Must have been an emergency.” He shrugged pulling us back on the road.

“Hmm must have been.” I set my elbow on his shoulder and began rubbing my fingers through the back of his head. We finally made it to the One Stop. No one was there except for the owner. We parked and Billie held my hand as we walked to the doors. He pushed it open for me and we were greeted by a white haired man who looked like he was in his late 50’s. We greeted him and I walked straight to the back to the small freezer filled with frozen treats. Billie walked up beside me and put an arm around me pulling me close.

“You know what you want?”

“No they all sound so good!” He giggled and kissed the side of my head. I bent closer to the glass. “Ooo… Chocolate chip cookie with fudge sounds great!” My breath fogged up the glass. Billie slid the glass top open and grabbed it up.  He looked it over then turned it to me.

“This one?”

“Yes.” I smiled and took it from his hand. I gave him a kiss and we walked to the front.

“Is that all you want?” He asked pulling out his wallet. I set the ice cream on the counter and put my hands to my baby bump.

“Yes!” He smiled and the man at the register rung it up.

“$3.65” He said looking to Billie. Billie opened out his wallet and pulled out everything. He only had $3. He searched his pockets.

“Damn, you don’t have change do you babe?” I searched my pockets.

“Nope.” I frowned a bit.

“Ok one sec, I got some change in the car.”

“Hurry I don’t want it to melt.” He nodded and stepped out. I rubbed on some of the frost that had melted.

“How far along are you?”

“Five months.” I smiled. “A baby girl named Joanna.” I said proudly.

“Aww that’s so sweet.’ He smiled.

“Yeah, I’m sorry about this, I know there’s change in the car.”

“It’s ok, you know what I’ll pay the difference. You just get home and feed your baby some ice cream.”

“Are you sure?” I asked smiling.

“Yes just take care of the little one. A beautiful pregnant girl like you should be at home resting your feet.” I smiled

“Well thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Need a bag?”

“No thanks I might just eat some in the car.”

“Ok you take care!” He smiled. I opened the door.

“Thanks, you too.” I stepped out I saw Billie sitting in the driver seat with his feet out counting change. “Sweetie it’s ok, he let me have it.” Billie looked up and smiled. I started across the parking lot when he got up and ran to me. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed me. “What’s gotten into you?” He smiled.

“I just love you so much.” I smiled.

“I love you too babe!” I went to kiss him and he eased his hand up stealing my ice cream. “HEY!” He laughed as I chased him to the car. He opened the passenger door and rested his arms on the top of the door as I got in. he took the lid of the ice cream off and dipped his finger in for a bite. “Give me my ice cream!” I said as I sat. He smiled sucking the frozen treat off his finger. He handed it to me and shut the door. I put the lid back on since I didn’t have a spoon. He got in the car and buckled. As I clicked the buckle in place I leaned in to kiss him. My tongue explored his mouth tasting the sweet taste of chocolate chip, and fudge. His mouth was cold. I pulled away and he was smiling biting on his bottom lip. His eyes were still closed. I licked my lips and pushed his head to the front. He cranked the car and backed us up.

“Ok, so I was thinking…” I looked over to him. “How about we go to the park and feed the ducks? We’ll stop at the bread store and get some cheap day old bread.” He kept his face forward watching as he drove. I smiled.

“That sounds awesome hun! I haven’t done that in a long time.” I placed my hand on his leg he grabbed it and pulled it to his lips kissing it.

“It’ll be great.” He said as he lowered my hand back down. We started to approach our neighborhood when we heard some sirens in the distance.

(Billie’s POV)

I was careful when I heard them and looked around trying to figure which way they were coming from.

“I don’t see them.” Kendra said looking around.

“Me either.” I stopped at a stop sign and waited looking but nothing. I went own. I was driving kind of slow when I heard a strange roaring sound. I looked toward Kendra who was looking at me confused, and then I saw it behind her. A black mustang with his head lights off was racing toward us from a side street, but it was too late by the time I saw it his breaks were squealing so loud. There was no time to avoid the crash. Just before his bumper collided with Kendra’s door my heart sank and my eyes grew wide. I didn’t even have time to yell her name to warn her. It all happened in a second, and I blacked out. At one point I woke but only long enough to realize I was hurting real bad. There were flashing lights in the darkness and people in uniforms walking around.

“Sir you were just in an accident, we’re taking you and the girl to the hospital now.” A man said as I was being lifted. I was on a bed and I could hear glass crunch as I was rolled. I looked down to see my car was totaled. We were very lucky to survive. That is if Kendra did survive.

“Kendraaaa!” I yelled. A soon as I went to take a breath I passed out again.

Vote/Comment<3