38: Surprise Lunch

Fifteen days before Yu Qing's match against Xing Yao High School, Lu Xia was found strolling along the park alone, his tennis bag slung over his shoulder and his white cap permanently placed on his head like the usual. The team had been drowning themselves in their trainings, practicing double time by staying late after practice hours. Unfortunately for Lu Xia, Coach Qi Na had halted his training schedules with the team, thus leaving him on his own. It was a bit perplexing for them, but he knew their coach's motives, residing with the thought that maybe her plan would benefit him well.

He briskly walked along the pathways, halting as Jia Le suddenly jumped in front of him with a wide grin, "Hello, Little Lu Xia! It's been so long!"

His eyes widened in confusion as the rest of his teammates appeared behind Jia Le with the exception of their captain. Their faces displayed adoration at their youngest teammate, smiling upon seeing him again after how many weeks.

"You know, it's actually okay if you don't want to practice with us." Qiao Chen smiled. "But at least have lunch with us today."

Bai Yang scoffed, "He's hesitant to have lunch with us because he's scared that you might take his food."

Instead of arguing with Bai Yang, Qiao Chen just glared at him as Lu Xia roamed his eyes on them in amazement, feeling touched, yet he wouldn't show it. "You..."

"We came to see you." Zhuo Zhi smiled as Lu Xia was at loss for words.

"We hardly see you anymore since we aren't in the same grade as you and you never practice with us anymore." Da Yong explained.

To add more to Lu Xia's surprise, Xing Long happily raised a paper bag, "I brought food by the way."

"And I brought drinks." Zhi Ming added, raising a bottle containing his Yan Juice. Everyone snapped their heads to him, taking a few steps away from Zhi Ming and his juice.

Jia Le then cleared his throat at that and jumped onto Lu Xia, placing an arm around the youngest's shoulders, "Why don't we find some place to sit down and have some food and drinks, yeah?" Lu Xia nodded and Jia Le dragged him along with them as the others followed suit. "Let's go!"

An hour later after a hearty lunch, Da Yong asked something to Lu Xia, who was seated on the blanket between him and Jia Le, "Lu Xia, when will you return to practice with us?"

"When I'm really ready for the game." Lu Xia answered.

"How is it going then?" Jia Le asked, which made Lu Xia divert his gaze to his lap. Noticing the youngest's sudden silence, Jia Le changed his question, "Um, what were you practicing on your own? You are always in good form; you never lose."

Lu Xia recalled the countless times he had always lost to his father, mumbling, "I actually keep losing."

Knowing who he was referring to, Qiao Chen pointed out, "It's normal to lose to a legendary player like your father, you know."

And again, Bai Yang scoffed, "Do you think everyone has no ambition like you? Loser."

Qiao Chen rolled his eyes and ignored him, "But you know, even the most impressive people lose. So I think it's okay to lose sometimes."

"Right! I think it's more important to play a match first." Jia Le nodded in agreement.

"But I need to be really prepared for the game." Lu Xia frowned. "I just can't be like this."

Zhuo Zhi, who had been standing behind the bench Xing Long and Zhi Ming were seated at, moved behind Lu Xia and squatted, "But not all games can wait until you have reached your best form, you know."

Lu Xia started pondering at his teammates' thoughts when Jia Le pulled his attention from Zhuo Zhi, "Anyways Little Lu Xia, all we hope is that you can return to the team and play against Xing Yao with us." He nodded as the others shifted the conversation to a lighter one.

Upon continuing their stroll together as a group, Lu Xia felt a bit relieved. He wouldn't admit it but he kind of missed being with his team's presence. He had gotten too accustomed with their constant banters and loud voices, so suddenly being apart from them felt weird and lonely. A small ghost of smile drew on his lips as he recalled how his teammates personally came to see him just to have lunch together.

As he raised his gaze ahead of them, his eyes zeroed at the two figures facing each other, a good distance was between them. Their mouths weren't moving, which made Lu Xia conclude that they were just simply looking at each other. But even from his position that was a bit far from them, he could feel the awkwardness and tension oozing from the two.

However, it seemed like he was the only one who noticed as the rest were pretty much preoccupied with each other, laughter bubbling within them as incoherent conversations were all being thrown out at the same time.

"Senior Jia Le," Lu Xia called to which Jia Le hummed after laughing in one of Da Yong's jokes. "Did Senior Jia Li mention something about going out with someone?"

Jia Le hummed and nodded, "Well, yes. Did she tell you, Zhuo Zhi?"

Zhuo Zhi simply smiled, facing them as the group paused their steps to look at Lu Xia, "She texted me that she was going to meet up with Xing Zi."

"Eh?" Jia Le pivoted Lu Xia's frame to face him. "How did you know? Are you stalking her?"

"No." Lu Xia deadpanned and gestured with his mouth at the direction ahead of them, "But isn't that her with Ji Jing Wu of Xing Yao High School?"