08: Study Buddy

Days quickly passed by in a blur. Before she knew it, Jia Li realized it had already been a week since she started studying in Yu Qing. There wasn't much to narrate since the past few days had been the usual. But during those days, Jia Li had tried to bond with Xueer as per the auburn girl's request. Since two days ago, Xueer had invited Jia Li in the library after their last class. She was practically dragged by her new friend with the excuse that she needed help in Chemistry as she got confused with all of its equations. Jia Li wanted to refuse but after much persuasion, she eventually spent the remaining hours tutoring the bubbly girl, who unfortunately, couldn't ran out of words to chatter.

Gradually, the day ended with no progress on Xueer's side.

Now it was Saturday — a perfect start for a weekend of no deadlines. Most students would spend the day hanging out with friends, locking themselves in their own virtual worlds or hibernating. However, for Jia Li, she took the weekend as an appropriate time to advance her lessons.

The weekly Tang family day was cancelled due to Jia Le's trainings, which was understandable, considering how they needed to practice very hard if they wanted to win the championship. Her parents had invited her to visit the mall and purchase a few stuffs. But Jia Li wasn't fond of trudging around a huge building and carrying shopping bags. So, she declined their offer and decided to study instead.

Currently, she's standing in front of a small coffee shop she had discovered. Its location was quite secluded from the hawking eyes of people although it was kind of near Yu Qing. Her hands gripped the straps of her backpack, pulling the camera bag in front of her as she pushed the door open. A strong, sweet aroma of coffee greeted her nostrils. Jia Li's lips parted slightly at her surroundings; vintage tables were properly spread throughout the small area, surrounded by couches decorated with soft pillows; ambient lighting prettily made the place match its vintage theme; calligraphies were neatly painted on the brick walls, each carving out encouraging quotes; soft music blared clearly through the speakers, overthrowing the silence.

A contented sigh flew past her lips. Jia Li absolutely loved it here. It wasn't crowded. Most tables were vacant and there wasn't a long line visible in front of the cashier. In excitement, Jia Li placed her order before securing herself a spot at the far corner beside the glass windows. She quickly brought out her cameras and took a few photos of the place before deciding that she had been postponing her study session for too long already. She quickly indulged herself in her textbooks once her order had been served.

Within three hours of studying without breaks, Jia Li sighed and leaned back against the comfortable couch, stretching her arms and fingers. Classical music was blasting through her earphones, calming her thoughts from jumbling the notes she had memorized during her classes. She glanced around and noticed that the amount of people was still the same. Maybe only a few people really knew about this coffee shop. She wondered how only a handful could appreciate the simplicity and quietness of this place, preferring ear-piercing ones that could damage their eardrums. She shrugged off her thoughts, deciding not to think too hardly about it.

Halfway through resuming her study session, Jia Li noticed another presence standing in front of her table. She looked up, directly meeting Zhuo Zhi's amused eyes. Surprised, she quickly pulled out her earphones and bit her lip, "How long have you been standing there, Senior?"

The amusement visible in his eyes didn't vanish, "So now you're talking to me in full sentences?"

"I-uh..."

He only chuckled at her, who became nervous. Gesturing at the couch opposite her, he asked, "Mind if I sit here with you?"

Shaking her head, she offered him a small smile and put down her pen. His eyes dropped down to her textbooks propped open, notebooks brimmed with clean handwritings, and the cameras safely placed beside the glass windows. He raised an eyebrow at her, "Were you studying?"

"Just advancing." She mumbled and played with her fingers.

"Ah, an honor student." Zhuo Zhi nodded, impressed. "And I assume that these cameras were used to photograph this coffee shop?"

Jia Li's eyes widened, nodding in confirmation, "Yeah, what are you doing here, Senior?"

She didn't know how, why, or when she started talking to Zhuo Zhi in full sentences. All she knew was that his presence was just too comfortable and that he was just easy to talk to. And based on his reactions, he wasn't bothered by it. But more like, he seemed to like the fact that she was getting used to him.

"I saw you by the window." His eyes slightly disappearing as he smiled, motioning towards the glass window beside them, "You were too focused that you didn't notice me standing in front you."

"Oh," Jia Li replied. "I'm sorry, Senior."

"I hope I'm not disturbing you?"

"It's alright, Senior." Jia Li glanced down at her lap, avoiding maintaining eye contact with him.

Zhuo Zhi simply remained unfazed, still wearing a smile. He tilted his head slightly and stared at her before standing up, leaving his tennis bag and backpack on the couch. Jia Li's eyes traveled over to him, standing by the cashier. He was simply arrayed in a casual white t-shirt and black training shorts. His hair was slightly damped, perhaps from playing tennis. This made her want to ask him if he was a part of Yu Qing's Tennis Team. But opted not to instead.

He returned and shrugged at her, "Do you often study here?"

"I just happened to find this coffee shop today." She shook her head. "I was supposed to spend the usual family time at home, but we had individual plans, so I decided to just come here and study."

Amazement was written on Zhuo Zhi's face. Chuckling, he pointed out, "That's the longest you've spoken to me."

Is he seriously keeping track of how long my sentences are?

"Is it bad?" Jia Li pursed her lips out of nervousness.

"Not at all." Zhuo Zhi reassured. "Would you mind if I also study with you?"

A funny thought entered inside Jia Li's head. She slightly smirked, "You know, I'm starting to think that you are the stalker between the two of us, Senior."

Zhuo Zhi openly laughed at the words thrown at him, recalling how he had also told her that. "Maybe."

"Stalkers are creepy, you know." Jia Li pouted.

"If I were a stalker, I wouldn't be revealing myself to you." He chuckled and started bringing out his textbooks. "Why are you studying alone?"

"I prefer it. It helps me think properly." She bit the inside of her cheek, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I can't study with someone unless that person can help me with my studies."

Zhuo Zhi took a good view of her lessons, skimming through her jotted notes which she had been redoing since she couldn't analyze it properly. If he had noticed how she struggled with the lessons he saw, Zhuo Zhi didn't show it. He sent her a smile after placing the notebook down. "How about this," he proposed. "I'll help you in your studies in exchange of seeing the photos you took."

"That's it?" Jia Li raised an eyebrow, skeptical at how simple his request was. Not that she was complaining.

"Yes." He hummed and began flipping through the pages of his textbooks, a pencil wildly dancing between his fingers.

It isn't such a bad idea at all.

"Deal." Jia Li agreed and started focusing back to her study session. Before continuing further, she pursed her lips, suppressing a grin and taking a few glances at the person in front of her. "Does this mean you're my study buddy now?"

Zhuo Zhi chuckled, lacing his fingers together as he rested his elbows atop the table, a soft smile resting on his lips.

"Whatever you want."