17: Jia Le's Girlfriend

Jia Li decided to wait for the team outside of the building as they ushered Lu Xia inside. She always felt uncomfortable inside a hospital. There's just this weird feeling that gave her shivers whenever she saw medical people and patients. The smell of medicine also felt foreign, which made her dizzier. She stood in front of the fountain, one hand resting on the camera dangling from her neck and the other around her bag's strap. Qi Ying had joined the team to bring Lu Xia to the doctor, thus leaving her alone. She hoped Lu Xia's injury was nothing too serious.

From her reflection at the fountain, a figure stood beside her. Long auburn hair cascaded down past her shoulders; her cheeks were painted with light blush; her attire was a casual light pink blouse tucked inside her denim shorts; a camera hung on her chest. Jia Li faced the person, her lips parting in surprise.

"Xueer," she whispered as her old friend turned to her.

"Jia Li," Xueer gave a stiff nod. "It's been three months."

Jia Li wanted to confront the girl about why she pretended to be a Yu Qing student, but she couldn't bring herself to ask. Words got stuck in her mouth and she became mute as Xueer studied her.

"I heard one of Yu Qing's players got hurt," the auburn-haired girl smirked. "He's lucky to have won the game."

"What's your problem with the tennis team?" Jia Li blurted, feeling a bit annoyed at how Xueer thought so low of them.

She only scoffed, "They don't deserve to go to the Nationals."

"Then who?" Jia Li questioned. From what Jia Li had witnessed, the team deserved to at least advance to the Nationals because of their hard work, teamwork, and determination. They weren't a lost cause. They're talented players who, underwent different stories to reach the amazing people they were now.

Both girls stared at each other. Xueer was sporting an annoyed face whilst Jia Li was calm and curious. Their stares only broke when they heard Jia Le's loud voice from afar. Xueer took a step back, preparing to leave.

"You'll know soon enough who deserves to win." And before Jia Li could utter another word, Xueer threw one last taunting glance. "By the way, it was nice seeing you again, Tang Jia Li."

How...

She was left glued in her spot, staring at the place where Xueer had disappeared. Her lips were parted, and her thoughts clouded with confusion at how Xueer knew her family name. Lost in her thoughts, Jia Li flinched hard as a hand landed on her arm. She turned to see the team looking at her with worry and Jia Le holding her arm.

"Are you okay?" His eyes softly studied her face, knowing that she would never flinch at her brother's touch.

It took her a moment to regain her senses, stuttering as she blinked, "Y-Yeah." She forced a smile as Jia Le diverted his attention to Lu Xia but not before giving her a knowing glance to talk to him later.

He placed an arm around the freshman's shoulders, "Lu Xia bled for our team today, so we're making it up to you at the celebration."

"I'm not going." Lu Xia attempted to walk away but was pulled back by her brother.

"Lu Xia, you must come." Xing Long smiled. "Our restaurant's goose is tasty. I'll have my dad cook you some goose soup tonight."

At the mention of food, Jia Le perked up, excited, "Yes! Their goose is the best. Qi Ying, you need to come too, and have some, okay?"

Qi Ying nodded with a grin, "Okay."

Jia Li scratched her head and looked down at her camera, remembering something, "Um, before you go, can I take a picture of the team?"