23: Provincial Qualifiers

On the day of the match between Ying Cai High School and Yu Qing High School, Jia Li, for the first time, was walking along with the team between Lu Xia and Jia Le. She was wearing casual clothes instead of her uniform, holding the strap of her camera bag. Her braided hair was placed on her left shoulder, wisps of her brown hair dangling on the sides of her face.

Jia Le had insisted that she'd be walking with them to the park from now on as he felt a bit paranoid after what happened weeks ago. She had refused at first but was convinced afterwards by Si Yang and Da Yong as well.

Her ears perked as the announcer declared that Yu Feng High School had given up their match. She wondered what could be the reason since Yu Feng was a strong team and didn't seem like the type to back out.

As if on cue, Yu Qing bumped into Yu Feng, who were just on their way to leave. Both teams stood in line across each other. And Jia Li noticed how she and Xing Zi stood beside their brothers, passing smiles.

"Captain Xu, is your team alright?" Si Yang asked Yu Feng's Captain.

"Although we gave up the match, I still remember our deal." Xu Zi Ping answered. "We will make it happen."

"Okay, then we'll see you again in the court." Si Yang nodded.

Hands clapping caught both teams' attention. They all turned their heads toward the sound. Being shorter than Jia Le, Jia Li had to step a bit forward to see who clapped.

It was the same guy who barged in Yu Qing's tennis court weeks ago. The same arrogant look was displayed on his face as he lazily moved his eyes around them, scoffing. He stopped clapping, tucking his hands inside his pockets upon seeing Jia Li, who tightened her grip around the straps of her bag. She instinctively hid her right arm behind her, remembering the incident.

He tilted his head slightly and nodded at her, "How's your arm? Hope it wasn't hurt that much."

Everyone's eyes then settled on her and Jia Le gasped, eyes flaring in anger. He quickly pushed past Da Yong, who held him back along with Xing Long before he could pounce on the guy. Jia Le snapped, "You were the one who hurt her! I swear if you hurt her again, I'll make sure you-"

"Jia Le!" Si Yang commanded with a stern voice, startling Xing Zi and Jia Li, who pulled the sleeve of her brother's tennis jacket to his previous position.

"Ah, what an overprotective brother you have there." The guy smirked and started walking his way between the two teams. His attention was on each Yu Qing player he passed, "Yu Qing, don't give up like them." He referred to the Yu Feng team and walked away, leaving the atmosphere tensed.

--

After Jia Le had left her with Qi Ying, insisting that the younger girl should not at all costs lose sight of his sister, Jia Li rolled her eyes at that as Qi Ying hesitantly asked her to sit beside her and Peng Xiang. She readied her camera, turning confused at how all the Ying Cai High School players clutched their stomachs, groaning in pain once Yu Qing approached them to shake their hands. They yelled to the umpire that they're giving up the match, forfeiting the game.

"You pretend to be ill and give up because you fear losing to Yu Qing." Jia Li snapped her head towards the same guy, who was scoffing and standing by the rails.

The Yu Qing team, who were walking to the side, turned to his direction. Qiao Chen got riled up at the comment and started walking up to him, "Who are you talking to, huh?"

"Qiao Chen!" Xing Long immediately held him back, glaring at the guy, "Ya Jiu Xin, you went too far already."

So his name is Ya Jiu Xin. Kind of fitting with his personality and attitude.