18: Stalking Habits

Nine days before the Municipal Qualifying, Jia Li found the team scattered in various positions under the shed except for Zhi Ming and Si Yang, who stood in front of the team, explaining a new set of training. Bai Yang was twirling his racket on the ground; beside him sat Da Yong, who was adjusting the bag around his leg; behind them stood Jia Le, embracing his racket. On the other bench sat Lu Xia with his usual blank facade, a racket leaning on his shoulder; Qiao Chen was behind him with his arms folded; and Xing Long leaned against the side of the wall. They were all attentive to what Zhi Ming was saying, except for someone.

Slightly behind Bai Yang's left was Zhuo Zhi, standing with his arms crossed and leaning against the wall. He seemed unlikely himself, staring into space. Jia Li wanted to ask where his mind had drifted off to but decided to leave him be as his demeanor showed complete seriousness.

She waited first for Zhi Ming and Si Yang to finish talking before approaching them. Jia Le instantly beamed at the sight of his sister, "Little sis!" He tilted his head in confusion upon noticing she wasn't holding her camera, "Huh? Where's your camera?"

At the mention of Jia Le's nickname for her, Zhuo Zhi stood up straight and turned to her direction. But she didn't notice him and walked near Si Yang, "Um, Senior Si Yang, I just wanted to inform that I probably won't be able to document the team for the next few days since I have group projects to finish." She shifted on her feet, pursing her lips as Si Yang softened his serious facade at her. "I was supposed to tell Coach Qi Na, but I couldn't find her in her office."

"It's okay, Jia Li." Si Yang nodded, tucking his hands inside the pockets of his joggers. "You should prioritize your studies. Thanks for informing in advance."

Jia Le placed an arm around her shoulder and patted her head, "Such diligent sister I have."

"Does this mean we won't be seeing you in the next few days?" Qiao Chen pouted, growing accustomed to her presence already.

"It's just a few days." Jia Li chuckled since she had become Qiao Chen's rant buddy whenever he vented out his feelings for Xing Zi. She side-hugged her brother before he left for practice along with the others. Jia Li stayed for a while to watch the first few parts of their new training then turned to leave, passing by Zhuo Zhi.

"Senior Zhuo Zhi," she greeted.

"Jia Li."

She subtly peeked at the others then returned her gaze to Zhuo Zhi, "I hope you're not too stressed out about the upcoming tournaments."

Zhuo Zhi snickered, tucking his hands inside his pockets, "Is it that obvious?"

"It's pretty much written on your face." Jia Li shrugged nonchalantly. She noticed him looking down, unknowing what to do. "You don't have to fret about it, Senior." He looked back up at her with his eyebrows raised. "You're an amazing player and you have a great team that supports each other. You'll be alright."

"You think I'm amazing?" He smirked.

Jia Li groaned, "Was that the only thing you heard?"

"It was the one that caught my attention." Zhuo Zhi shrugged, a playful smile now visible on his lips. His face became more relaxed and less tensed.

"Go practice now, Senior." She huffed, covering her relief.

"Yes, Ma'am." He saluted, grabbing his racket from the tennis bag before turning back to Jia Li with a smile, "I'll see you again, Jia Li. Thanks."

A nod was her only response. She waved at him as he jogged to the court, smiling to herself and walked away.

--