24: Family Night

Days after the Provincial Qualifying, Jia Li had just arrived home from school after a long day. With Si Yang in temporarily leave for days, the team was entrusted to Da Yong and Zhi Ming. Everyone was then training overtime especially on weekends, where they could use the tennis courts past school hours. They had been divided into pairs and changing partners weekly, according to Zhi Ming's new training plan. Jia Li could have stayed longer with the team today, but she had a huge pile of homework already needed to be crammed since its deadlines were fast approaching.

She dragged her feet inside their house, lazily grabbing a glass of water to refresh herself before she locked up herself in her homework. But as she passed by their parents' bedroom, she was surprised to see them inside and not at work. She stepped forward, raising a hand to knock at the door left ajar. But she paused midway upon seeing them having a serious conversation, stress and worry visible on their faces. Deciding that it wasn't good to interrupt, she quietly slipped away and headed to her bedroom.

Hours after solving problems in Chemistry and Calculus, Jia Li stretched her arms and craned her neck to relieve its cramps. Her eyes shut, head leaning back against the headrest of her swivel chair as she eagerly rested her brain from drinking loads of equations. However, a knock interrupted her nap and Jia Le's head popped through the doorway before fully entering her room.

"What are you doing here?" Jia Li crossed her eyebrows, watching her brother plopped himself on her bed, thankful that he had freshened up from his sweaty uniform.

Jia Le shrugged and pulled out his phone, still lying on her bed, "Dad told me he wanted to tell us something important. He said to meet here in your room since we're pretty sure you won't get out unless you finished all your homework."

"Did he give you any hints?" She frowned, remembering what she saw a while ago, deeply hoping it wasn't that serious.

"Nope." Jia Le popped and began playing.

Few minutes later, their parents knocked before entering the room, holding a bunch of board games that they used to play on weekends.

But it wasn't the weekend at all.

"Hi, Sweeties," Mrs. Tang softly placed a kiss on the siblings' heads before sitting beside Jia Le.

"Hey," Jia Li smiled. "What's going on?"

"We figured we could play some board games tonight." Mr. Tang said, holding a box of Monopoly. "Just like the weekends before. We rarely got time now since we're all busy."

Jia Le leaped and grabbed the box from their father's hands, "I'm so down! Prepare to lose everyone!"

The night was filled with teases and laughter, with a few Dad jokes inserted in-between. Their parents mostly asked what the two had been up to these days with Jia Le sharing about how he had to practically keep her away from boys since she had been attracting injuries ever since she met the team. But she retorted by embarrassing him with his lame stories and weak tennis moves. Throughout the entire night, Jia Li had a wide grin on her face, relishing these family moments they spent together.

In the middle of their seventh round of Scrabbles, their father spoke, "Jia Le, Jia Li, can we talk to both of you about something?"

The two shared a glance. Jia Le shrugged, continuing the game as it was his turn. But Jia Li fixated her gaze on their parents, who suddenly became nervous. Tension slowly seeped in through the calm atmosphere. She asked tentatively, "Is something wrong?"

"Sweetie," their mother started combing Jia Li's hair, "Remember the time when we told you about transferring you to Yu Qing because of our financial budget?"

She nodded, confused at where this talk was going. Mr. Tang cleared his throat, "There's something we want to tell you both about me." He paused then sighed heavily. "I'm sick."

"Sick?" Jia Le pivoted his body to their father, "Do you have a flu or headache?"

"What kind of sickness?" Jia Li blurted out, not liking where this conversation was heading to.

"Leukemia."

And that was all it took for the two siblings to halt in their positions, staring in horror at their father. Jia Li had never expected this to happen. All this time, their father seemed alright like there weren't any symptoms at all.

"How long?" Jia Le breathed out.

"Five months already." Mr. Tang muttered.

Jia Li suddenly connected the dots, tears threatening to escape from her eyes. Yet, she refused to cry, "I had been studying in an expensive school for years. And instead of using the money for your recovery, you used it for my tuition. Am I correct?"

"Sweetie," their mother tried reaching for her.

"I am to be blamed." Jia Li quivered. "It was my choice to study in a different school. I had been so selfish. I didn't think how me studying there could affect our financial budget and your recovery that much."

"Little sis," Jia Le wrapped her in his arms, "It's not your fault, okay?"

"Honey," Mr. Tang spoke up. "It's not your fault, okay? We wanted what's best for you. And if staying hidden from the spotlight of your brother's life is what you want then it's okay."

She began sniffing, "But do you think it's okay for me knowing that all the money that was supposedly for your recovery was used for an expensive school? I might prefer being hidden from Jia Le's famous life, but I don't want to lose a father."

Jia Le remained quiet, silently crying as he basked in his sister's words. Both of them surely didn't want to lose a father. They had been so caught up in tennis and photography that they had forgotten to ask how they're parents were.

"Maybe I should take a break from playing tennis." Jia Le mumbled, wiping away his tears.

"Honey, no..." their mother began refusing at his idea.

"Jia Le," Mr. Tang spoke with a stern voice, "I don't want to hear anything from your mouth about stopping what you both love. Nothing's supposed to stop you from doing what you both want. And I sure am not going to be the reason for you to give up those dreams."

"But Dad-"

"I'll take care of Dad with Mom, Jia Le." Jia Li cut him off, pulling away from him. "You can still train with the team."

"But your photo-"

"Dad's more important than my photography project." Jia Li dismissed. "Besides, seeing you and the team win until the Nationals is already enough."

Their parents only heaved out a sigh, knowing how stubbornness ran in their family's genes. They perfectly knew that no one could alter their decisions unless they were voted out.

To ease the tension, Mrs. Tang suggested that they watch some movies together like the old times. The two immediately agreed, trying to spend each and every moment from now on with their parents.

As they succumbed themselves in the dark with the movie Tangled rolling in front of them, Jia Li finally let her tears damped her cheeks, wishing that this family night would never end.