43: Divorced Couple

Over the remaining four days, Jia Li stayed occasionally with the team along with Peng Xiang and Qi Ying. At times, she'd be hanging out with Xing Zi, who'd feed her with tons of juicy gossips that weren't really needed but she'd still listen to her. She had been a little bit paranoid too, lately, eyes roaming around her surroundings, checking whether that reporter was still following her.

Today, Jia Li was seated under the shed beside Xing Long, who was observing Bai Yang and Zhi Ming's practice. Her index finger repeatedly pressed the shutters of her camera as she captured the special techniques of both players. After checking the photos, her eyes involuntarily darted to the Golden Partners, who stood beside each other, yet Da Yong was the only one practicing whilst Jia Le stood beside him. From her position, she could see them conversing with each other. But exhaustion was clearly evident on Da Yong's figure as he sweat too much. From there, Jia Li observed Qiao Chen, who was practicing his swings with the tennis machine spitting balls to his direction.

Since Lu Xia was late for the qualifying match, his spot was given to Huang Jing, who was about to play against Si Yang. Her eyebrows furrowed when she noticed Zhuo Zhi wasn't there. Traveling her eyes around the area, Jia Li squinted her eyes on the figure at the other side of the entrance, who was continuously swinging the balls taken from the tennis basket.

She then stood up, grabbing a few stuff and handed them over to Jia Le and Da Yong, who thanked her as she passed by them. Jia Li then entered the other court where Zhuo Zhi was practicing alone, who instantly turned to her with a smile.

"Why aren't you practicing with the others there?" She asked as she gave him a towel and a bottle of juice.

He took it and placed it on the tennis bag, "According to Zhi Ming's training plan, I needed to practice my serves alone."

Jia Li slowly nodded in understanding, "I'll get going then so you could continue practicing."

"Stay." Zhuo Zhi said to which Jia Li obliged and walked to his other side as he resumed his practice.

Just a few minutes later, Jia Le came marching at the court with a frown on his face, not even noticing his sister's presence. "Zhuo Zhi."

"Huh?"

"Can I ask you something?" Jia Le subtly glanced at his partner, "Don't you think Chi Da Yong's behavior has been quite weird lately?"

Zhuo Zhi dribbled the tennis ball first then served before squinting at the place where Da Yong was practicing. He asked with parted lips, tiredness growing in him, "Has it?"

Jia Le clicked his tongue and impatiently took Zhuo Zhi's racket, hugging it tight to his chest. "I'm not joking. Don't you think Chi Da Yong looks like he's under a lot of pressure?" He lifted his gaze upwards and began to think as Zhuo Zhi and Jia Li stared at him. "Huh, tell me, what can make a teenager in his golden years, who has a huge potential, feel so depressed?"

Jia Li snorted at how her brother used those words whilst Zhuo Zhi snickered after drinking, teasing him, "Golden years? Huge potential? It's really surprising that you care about Da Chi that much."

Her brother slightly tilted his head to the side as if in deep thought, "Could it be love? It can't be love! He didn't even notice that there was a girl sitting behind him not until last month." Zhuo Zhi just playfully smiled, taking the towel to wipe off his sweat coating him as Jia Le began pouring out his thoughts. "And if it's love, then shouldn't you be under pressure also especially since you're the one in a relationship among us and you love my sister?" Both his best friend and sister choked in their saliva, coughing. It was then he noticed that Jia Li was there all along. "Little sis! When had you arrived here?"

"I've been here the entire time, idiot." Jia Li deadpanned, ignoring what her brother had just previously spitted out. "You sound like a wife ranting about her husband being so secretive — a divorced couple to be precise."

"I'm just curious about my partner's behavior recently!" Jia Le immediately defended himself. "Is it because of schoolwork? That's impossible. He's always been good in his studies, helping me review our lessons most of the time."

"And I willingly offered to help you out before always, yet you decline my offers." Jia Li stared blankly at her brother.

He waved a hand dismissively at her, "I prefer Chi Da Yong over you."

"I'm offended."

"You're welcome." Jia Le smiled then frowned, turning to Zhuo Zhi, "Anyways, do you think his weird behavior is perhaps because of the pressure from the upcoming tournament?" But he shook his head instantly once he voiced out that thought before Zhuo Zhi could even respond. "That's also impossible."

Turning to him questioningly, Zhuo Zhi asked, "Why is it impossible?"

Jia Le gaped at him incredulously, "Didn't you even notice I've been working hard recently? I never slacked off!"

Zhuo Zhi snickered, nodding at Jia Le's claim, "You did work hard, but Da Chi looks quite normal to me. Nothing's strange about him." He then retrieved his racket from Jia Le's hold and took two balls.

"Huh, why am I the only one who noticed it?" Jia Le huffed, terribly confused before he let out a gasp, raising his finger at Zhuo Zhi, "I now know why! It must be because I always let him lead the games and trainings. He's got too much pressure and he hopes I can be independent." Then he chuckled at his best friend, who was suppressing an amused smile. "Zhuo Zhi, thank you so much!

"I didn't even say anything?" Zhuo Zhi raised his eyebrows, confused.

"I wouldn't be able to figure this out without your words! Thank you!" Jia Le saluted and jumped onto Jia Li, embracing her tightly as if suffocating her. "Thank you too, Little sis! You both have my blessings!"

Jia Li put on a funny face as they watched her brother ran away before she could strangle him to death. Zhuo Zhi chuckled at them, "Your brother seems very unlikely himself today."

"I swear I'm going to kill him."