23

April 1st
Wednesday
9:35 pm

"Took you... long enough..." I muttered towards my mentor who just arrived with the same healer from years ago, as I panted heavily throughout the procedure where three doctors were currently hacking my belly. I'm facing the open surgery for my spleen without general anesthesia, just because I didn't want to fall asleep and let them screw this up.

"She's on a vacation. I had to travel just to fetch her." Netero spoke like he hasn't been gone for like an hour at most. But the elder healer interrupted me from pointing that out and began doing her thing, enveloping her life energy unto me. She left nothing unattended and a few seconds later, I'm as good as new.

"Amazing..."

The middle-aged head surgeon was pouting in annoyance at the results yet the supporting ones were applauding her extraordinary skill. "Not when these Hunters will get us jobless in the future." He complained and threw his mask in the automatic trash can near the sliding door.

"No worries," Netero looked at him in a side stare, "only a handful carry the basic requirement to get this special treatment. A Hunter's License."

"Well that's a relief." He scoffed and went on his way. Netero then gazed down at me as if he's telling that I must be glad I got one. But I've got no time to bicker with him right now.

"Can that license help me arrive faster to save my daughter?" Netero stared at me like he's calculating something in his head. Since he's not responding, I didn't waste any more time and rose up to thank the healer before rushing towards the exit. Netero however, tapped my left shoulder to stop me from sprinting down the empty, two-meter-wide hallway to ask the receptionist if I could borrow their computer.

"Why don't you ride with me on the Association's private airship?" As he was just saying that, I heard the whirring sound at a distance by the windows on my left. I looked up and there's his patient nanny, gesturing that they're gonna land at the hospital's rooftop.

"How long would it take to reach Zoldycks' hideout?" I asked Beans as soon as I've stepped in the massive vehicle's passenger's cabin.

He was taken aback for a second but he eventually replied once he got a nod from Netero. "A few hours most. The sky is clear so it's easier to maneuver the airship."

I stood next to the wide, glass windows and watched the lights coming from different buildings flicker. "Please be safe baby..." I muttered to myself as I have thought of Sylvia's life at stake. I'm not sure what happened while I was battling for my life, but the aura remained so that's a bit of a relief.

"Damn it... it's my fault for not working harder. I could've extended the time frame longer than ten minutes..." I grab ahold of my hair in frustration and forced myself to think positively.

"True. However, nen isn't that simple. The restrictions you imposed, the moment you created that nen guardian became a double edged sword and made you vulnerable despite the power it holds." Netero joined me from behind and stood right by my side.

"I know." I couldn't argue because he's right. I have chosen to be connected with the guardian so that it can suck my aura to defend my daughter anytime she needs it and now it backfired at my Specialist skill. I have to master this incredible technique; find a better way to execute it for her and my sake, or else there's not much point if I end up dyįng afterwards.

Netero had to cut his display of wisdom when his phone rang at the middle of the night. "Yes, it's me." He walked to the couch where Beans is waiting. "I see. Then I shall appoint you as the proctor for the First Phase of the 287th Hunter Exam. Do not let Pariston lay as much as a finger or he'll definitely screw everything up." He paused and caught me listening. "Huh? Don't worry about Menchi, I'll handle her when the need arises."

I turned my back at him and rolled my eyes in disbelief. Good thing he kept receiving random calls till he got forced to get into his office. Meanwhile, I've counted every minute for hours until I caught a glimpse of the volcano not far up ahead.

"You're not gonna go there by yourself aren't you?" Beans questioned with dilated eyes while I was preparing the glider. "Who knows how many traps they have in there? Their butlers will all come for you and worse, their guard dog devours anyone who wasn't invited into that property."

"Mr. Beans, we're talking about Sylvia's life here. The only reason why I fought to live. If no one will back me up, then I'll fight my way in to save her no matter how dangerous it is."

A/N:

I'm sorry for the late update. I needed to rest for my health issues. I hope you'll enjoy and thank you for the support.^^