CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The rest of the Christmas holidays passed without incident or encounters with Death Eaters. David, Helena, Henry, and Amelia Wood stopped the fire in the Burrow and had it looking back to normal when the Weasleys arrived back the next morning.

On the last day of the holidays, Ron, Arabella, Harry, and Ginny, along with every other Hogwarts student, used the Floo network, set up by the Ministry, to return to the school instead of the usual means of the Hogwarts Express. Because of this, everyone was arriving at different times, so Arabella was not able to speak with both Seamus and Dean until the evening.

"So," Dean began, "how was everyone's holiday?"

"My ex-boyfriend's aunt set my house on fire on Christmas," Arabella said. "What about you two?"

"Really, Dean, that was a stupid question," Seamus said.

"I didn't know about that," Dean said. "How was I supposed to know about that?"

"It was in the Prophet."

"I don't get the Prophet at home. My mum's a Muggle, you know."

"You could still get a subscription."

"With what gold?"

"Isn't there a fund here for Muggle-borns?"

"For books and robes, not newspaper subscriptions!"

"You two are ridiculous," Arabella said. "I tell you my house was set ablaze and you start arguing about the Daily Prophet."

"Sorry, Ari," Seamus apologized.

"So who's this aunt of Malfoy's and why'd she try to burn your house down?" Dean asked.

"Bellatrix Lestrange, probably because Harry was there," Arabella answered simply.

"Malfoy's related to Bellatrix Lestrange?"

"That's what I just said."

"Is his whole family just evil?"

"Duh," Seamus said, "they're purebloods." Arabella gave him a look. "Rich purebloods."

Arabella sighed. "You two are on thin ice today," she said.

"How thin?" Dean questioned. Arabella looked at him. "Okay, message received."

.。❅*⋆⍋*∞*。*∞*⍋⋆*❅。.

"What's going on?" Arabella yawned the next morning as she joined Seamus and Dean, who were, like the rest of the sixth-years in their House, gathered around the notice board.

"Apparition lessons!" Seamus told her excitedly.

"About time, too," Dean said. "I was wondering when they would announce them."

Arabella made her way to the front of the crowd and read the new notice:

APPARITION LESSONS

If you are seventeen years of age, or will turn seventeen on or before the 31st August next, you are eligible for a twelve-week course of Apparition Lessons from a Ministry of Magic Apparition instructor. Please sign below if you would like to participate. Cost: 12 Galleons.

"12 Galleons. That's 24 Galleons altogether," Arabella muttered, grimacing. "Oh, that's not a pretty number."

"That's what I said," Ron spoke, coming to stand beside her. "But Mum and Dad were able to pay for Fred and George, weren't they? And for Charlie to retake his test? And that was all before Dad was promoted."

"That's true. Do you think we should sign up then?"

"We'd be stupid not to."

And so the twins signed up for Apparition lessons hoping that their parents could come up with the gold to get them through.

"What do you think it feels like? Apparating?" Dean questioned as he, Seamus, and Arabella made their way to Charms after breakfast.

"Harry said it's really uncomfortable," Arabella said. "Then again, he's only done Side-Along Apparition. Maybe the actual thing is better. Personally, I wouldn't much care if it didn't. I'm not letting Fred and George get away with being bothersome just because it's not the most comfortable thing."

"Right. Fergus is going to regret ever messing with me," Seamus said, grinning as he thought about getting revenge on his cousin.

"Yeah, because your 5'2" self is so intimidating," Dean joked.

"All right, Thomas-"

Seamus removed his wand from his pocket and proceeded to chase Dean all the way to the Charms classroom.

Arabella laughed as she watched the boys disappear around a corner. "And that's another thing," she said to Ernie Macmillan, who was walking in the corridor near her, "once we learn to Apparate, we won't have to use our legs anymore!"

[word count: 685]

[written: 9/20/20]
[published: 9/20/20]
i've currently got daddy issues by the neighborhood stuck in my head. thanks dracotok.