CHAPTER SEVEN

Harry had been made Captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team since Olivia had left, and since the majority of the previous years' team had been seventh-years, they had hardly anyone left on the team. Differing to what Olivia had done the previous year, Harry had try-outs open for every position, meaning that just because one was on the team the year before, they weren't guaranteed a spot on the new team. This year, Arabella tried out for Chaser instead of Beater, and was successful in obtaining the position along with Ginny and a seventh-year girl named Katie Bell. Fraser had remained one of the Beaters on the team, and in Arabella's place was a third-year boy named Jimmy Peakes.

Harry had left Keeper try-outs for last. Ron, of course, was trying out, along with a seventh-year boy named Cormac McLaggen. Naturally, Arabella was rooting for Ron, but was very worried that he would not perform to his best ability, as he was already nervous before he even got into the air.

McLaggen tried out first and had a very good start. Too good, in Arabella's opinion. She, Ginny, and Katie took turns trying to score, and McLaggen was successful in blocking four of their goals. On the fifth and final one, however, he seemed to have been trying to dodge the Quaffle instead of block it; a very unusual occurrence indeed, especially since he seemed to have quite a bit of skill. Knowing he wouldn't have possibly done this of his own accord, Arabella looked suspiciously over into the stands, which were filled with spectators eager to see who would make up the Gryffindor Quidditch team this year, and was able to see Hermione smiling to herself. Arabella knew immediately what must have happened but decided she would keep it to herself for her brother's sake. And it was a good thing she did, because Ron was able to block all five goals, earning his place as Keeper on the team.

Later on in the common room, Arabella sat with the trio as they all worked on their various homework assignments. Well, Harry, Hermione, and Arabella were working; Ron was basking in his own glory.

"I have to admit, I thought I was gonna miss that last one," Ron said. He had not stopped talking about try-outs since they happened. "I hope Cormac's not taking it too hard. He's got a bit of a thing for you, Hermione. Cormac."

"He's vile," Hermione said.

"Indeed," Arabella agreed.

After a moment, out of the corner of her eye, Arabella saw Ron turn his head to look across the common room. Out of curiosity, Arabella followed his gaze and saw one of her roommates, Lavender, give Ron a shy wave. Arabella looked back at Ron and was disgusted to see him grinning.

"Have you ever heard of this spell? Sectumsempra?" Harry asked Hermione, showing her a page in his borrowed Potions textbook that was filled with notes added by a previous owner. These notes, for the most part, contradicted and apparently corrected the actual textbook in many places, and by taking the word of the notes rather than the textbook, Harry managed to excel in Potions, much to the annoyance of his classmates.

"No, I haven't," Hermione replied, sounding scandalized. "And if you had a shred of self-respect, you'd hand that book in."

"Not bloody likely. He's top of the class," Ron pointed out. "He's even better than you two." He was, of course, referring to Arabella and Hermione. "Slughorn thinks he's a genius."

"Yes, Ronald, we're well aware of that, thank you," Arabella said, frustrated.

"I'd like to know whose that book was. Let's have a look, shall we?" Hermione said, putting down her homework and holding her hand out, meaning to take Harry's textbook.

Harry, however, quickly closed the book and scooted away from her. "No," he said, getting to his feet.

Hermione got to her feet as well. "Why not?"

"The binding is fragile," Harry said, backing away as Hermione kept approaching. Arabella couldn't help but laugh at the poor excuse Harry had come up with.

"The binding is fragile?"

"Yeah."

Arabella had seen Harry's mistake before he did; he had backed up nearly into Ginny. Ginny, who had been paying attention to the scene, took the opportunity to grab the book from Harry's hands from behind him. She opened the book, now being the one to back away from Harry as he tried to get it back from her.

"Who's the half-blood prince?" she asked.

"Who?" Hermione asked.

"That's what it says right here. 'This book is property of the half-blood prince.'"

After a moment of awkward silence, Ginny tossed the book back to Harry. Awkwardly, he slipped out of the common room up to his dormitory.

"Well," Arabella sighed, looking back to her homework, "that was anti-climactic."

[word count: 790]
[written: 9/5/20]
[published: 9/5/20]