CHAPTER TWELVE

As it was the year previous when Arabella and Draco had broken up the first time, Arabella was glad for any distractions, and whenever one came along, she put her all into it so as to allow her to forget about that feeling of emptiness she was once again having to deal with. This included Quidditch, performing to the very best of her ability during practices and thoroughly enjoying it, and feeling quite sad when they came to an end. On the morning of Gryffindor's first match, however, she allowed herself to be consumed with excitement, though it was very hard as she sat next to Ron at breakfast, who, like last year, was overcome with nerves.

"Slughorn's having a Christmas party, you know," Hermione said. "And we're meant to bring someone."

"Oh, great," Arabella said sarcastically, remembering that the last time she had ever attended something that required a date, she had gone with Draco.

"I expect you'll be bringing McLaggen. He's in the Slug Club, isn't he?" Ron said bitterly to Hermione.

"Actually, I was going to ask you," Hermione said.

"Really?" both twins asked together. Arabella thought this to be quite interesting.

Just then, Lavender walked up to Ron and tapped him on the shoulder. "Good luck today, Ron," she said. "I know you'll be brilliant."

Once Lavender walked away, Arabella made a gagging noise.

"I'm resigning," Ron said to Harry. "After today's match, McLaggen can have my spot."

"Have it your way," Harry said rather calmly, pushing a goblet of pumpkin juice towards Ron. "Juice?"

"You can't be serious?" Arabella asked exasperatedly. "Your best friend just said he's resigning from your team and your only response is to give him juice?"

"What should I have offered him instead?"

Arabella just stared at Harry until there was a voice from beside her.

"Hello, everyone," said Luna, wearing her lion hat that she wore for every Gryffindor Quidditch match except for the ones against Ravenclaw. "You look dreadful, Ron. Is that why you put something in his cup? Is it a tonic?"

Everyone looked around at Harry. Shrugging, he put something in his pocket, but before it disappeared, they all saw the distinct golden shimmer.

"Liquid luck," said Hermione. "Don't drink it, Ron."

Ron just looked at her before defiantly taking a sip of the drink.

Arabella smiled. "Brilliant, Harry!" she said. There was no way they were losing the match now.

"No, not brilliant!" Hermione said. She turned to Harry. "You could be expelled for that."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Harry said.

Slowly, a grin spread across Ron's face. "Come on, Harry. We've got a game to win," he said. The two of them then rose from the table and left, leaving Hermione to face Arabella, who was still smiling triumphantly.

"You don't seriously support that?" she asked.

Arabella shrugged. "You've got to do what you've got to do to win, Mione. I wouldn't expect you to understand," she said. "Oh, don't make that face at me, acting like you've never cheated a day in your life. Did you seriously think I wouldn't notice what you did at tryouts?" Hermione's eyes widened. "That's what I thought. Well, see you in the stands." Arabella got up and followed the rest of the team out to the Quidditch stadium.