CHAPTER TWELVE

"I heard Hogwarts end-of-year exams were frightful, but I found that rather enjoyable," said Hermione as she, Harry, Ron, and Arabella left their last exam to go enjoy the afternoon sunshine.

"Well, I wouldn't call them 'enjoyable,' but they definitely were not as difficult as I thought they would be," Arabella said. "In fact, I would say they were quite easy."

"Speak for yourselves," Ron said.

He was about to say more, but they were interrupted. Someone was calling Arabella's name, and they looked over to see Seamus and Dean waving her over.

"I should go," Arabella said. "See you guys later." She left them and joined her other two friends on the other side of the courtyard. "Hello," she said with a smile. "How did your exams go?"

"Well," Seamus started. "I think I failed the Charms exam, but at least I knew what to put in the Forgetfulness potion, thanks to you."

"Awe, I'm glad."

The trio began to migrate towards the shore, close to where Fred, George, and Lee were.

"Can you believe our first year is already almost over?" Arabella asked, looking around at the students on campus enjoying their free time.

"No. It feels like I just got here last week," Seamus said.

"Going back to live in the Muggle world is going to be awful boring compared to this," Dean said.

"Yeah, no trolls for Arabella to fight."

"Oh, I didn't fight that troll," Arabella said. "That was all Harry and Ron. Hermione and I just hid."

"But it still earned Gryffindor 10 points!" Dean pointed out.

"That was before she lost us 200," Seamus reminded them.

"It wasn't just me!" Arabella protested. "Besides, we would've been fine if Malfoy had kept his nose out of our business." At this, she turned around and looked at the boy, who was talking rather loudly with Crabbe and Goyle about how Slytherin was surely going to win the House Cup again this year.

"Speaking of that, I forgot to ask," Dean said, "how was detention with him anyway?" They resumed walking, now a lot closer to the Black Lake.

"Bloody terrible. But he was the most scared of all of us. And he kept talking about his father. Bit annoying, really."

"Malfoy? Scared?"

"Yeah. My little sister is braver than him. Then again, Ginny can be braver than me sometimes."

"You've got a little sister?"

"Blimey, Weasley, how many siblings have you got?" Seamus asked.

"Seven," Arabella answered, nonchalant.

"Seven?" they asked, shocked.

"Yep. Six brothers and a sister."

The three continued to talk about their home lives until they reached the Black Lake, at which point they set their things down and sat on the shore.

"So, what should we call you, anyway?" Seamus asked Arabella.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Arabella, but if we're gonna be friends, you're getting a nickname."

"How about Ari?" Dean suggested.

"That's new," said Arabella.

"Ari it is then."

Seamus looked over his shoulder. "Malfoy's looking over here," he said. Dean and Arabella looked behind them as well, and Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle were indeed looking their way. Arabella gave Malfoy a face that said 'what?' and he rolled his eyes before saying something to Crabbe and Goyle and looking away. Seamus shifted his gaze back to Arabella. "Bet he fancies you."

"What did you just say?" Arabella asked, disgust clear in her voice.

"Relax, it's just a joke." He was laughing.

"I don't think Malfoy's even capable of fancying someone," Dean said.

"Oh, he's definitely not," Arabella agreed. "He only cares for himself."

Just then, the trio was splashed with a huge wave of water from the lake in front of them and was completely drenched from head to foot. They heard laughing and looked up to see Fred, George, and Lee doubled over.

"Oh, you are so dead!" Arabella shouted. She took out her wand and Seamus and Dean did the same, and the two groups of Gryffindors continued to cast water at each other until Professor McGonagall yelled at them to stop.

Despite having a rather pleasant evening with Seamus, Dean, Fred, George, and Lee, Arabella's sleep was plagued with nightmares, and as soon as she woke up the next morning, she would understand why.

[word count: 730]
[written: 4/17/20]
[published: 5/16/20]