CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Arabella was all smiles as she sat at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall between Seamus and Dean, eating all the food she could get her hands on. It felt great to be back at Hogwarts, and she found herself getting distracted by the night sky through the windows, as she hadn't seen it in so very long. To make matters even better, no one was angry with her for not writing to them all summer.

"Good evening, children," Professor Dumbledore addressed them all. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who'll be taking Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave."

Confused, Arabella looked to Ron, hoping for an explanation as to why one of their favorite staff members had not returned to Hogwarts. All he did was shrug.

"We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck."

"Now, I'll admit," Arabella spoke in a low voice to Seamus and Dean, eyeing Umbridge, "I love the color pink more than the average person, but even I think that outfit is a bit excessive."

"Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you-"

Dumbledore's usual reminders were interrupted by a quiet but still disruptive "hem, hem." He felt silent and slowly turned to look at Professor Umbridge, looking slightly confused along with the other staff and students. Slowly, Umbridge stood from her seat and made her way to stand beside him at the podium.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome," said Umbridge, staring out at the students with an unwavering smile plastered on her face. Her voice was very high pitched and Arabella found herself greatly disliking it. "And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends." Seamus, Dean, and Arabella all exchanged doubtful faces. "The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be prohibited." She let out a small, girlish giggle that nearly made Arabella snarl.

"That laugh ought to be prohibited," she muttered.

Umbridge went back to her seat and Dumbledore began a polite applause, in which most students and staff participated in, though it was very insincere.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge," he said. "That really was most illuminating."

"Indeed," Arabella said bitterly as he went on to remind everyone that the Dark Forest is out of bounds and magic is not allowed in the corridors.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Dean asked her.

"The Ministry is interfering. That's what it means."

Back in the Gryffindor common room, Arabella was very annoyed to find out that nearly everyone had a copy of the Daily Prophet and was whispering about Harry being a nutter. What really angered her was when Seamus pulled out his own copy.

"Seamus, put that away!" she scolded him. "Harry could walk in here at any moment. I don't even know why you still read that rubbish. It's all nothing but lies."