CHAPTER THIRTEEN

"Guys," said Hermione, "you do realize what tree this is?"

Arabella didn't even think. She started running again until she reached her brother and tried to pull him to his feet, but Ron's attention was on something behind Harry and Hermione.

"Harry, Hermione, run!" he shouted. Then Arabella saw it, too, and her eyes widened. "It's the Grim!"

With a growl, the big black dog began to run towards them, swiftly jumping over Harry and Hermione. It grabbed Ron's leg and began to pull him towards a hole in the roots of the Whomping Willow. Arabella dared not let go of Ron, hoping that her added weight would prevent the dog from dragging them anywhere before Harry and Hermione could somehow stop it, but it didn't. She and Ron yelled as they were pulled into the hole and through a dark tunnel, up into what seemed to be a long-abandoned house and up the stairs to a destroyed bedroom.

Finally, the dog let go of Ron's now broken leg. Both of them hurried to get out their wands, but by the time they looked up, the dog had gone and there was a horribly familiar-looking man standing there. While they were too stunned to process what was happening, he easily took their wands.

"Sirius Black," Arabella voiced, recognizing him. "That's how you've been getting inside the castle! You're an Animagus!"

"You're a smart girl," said Black. Arabella was disgusted to see there was a slight grin on his face.

"Don't do that. What do you want with us? You escaped to come after Harry. We know that. Yet you left him out there."

Black didn't answer but just stood there, watching the two of them as they tried to figure out what was happening. Scabbers was wriggling madly in Ron's hands. Then they heard footsteps below them and knew Hermione and Harry and gotten past the tree and were going to find them. Just moments later, they appeared in the doorway and approached the twins.

"Guys, you're okay!" Hermione gasped.

"The dog. Where is it?" Harry asked.

"It's a trap. He's the dog! He's an Animagus!" Ron answered, pointing behind them to Black.

The two of them turned slowly and saw him standing there. He started to walk towards them and Hermione stepped in front of Harry.

"If you want to kill Harry, you'll have to kill us, too," she said. Arabella glared at him to make sure he knew she agreed.

"No. Only one will die tonight," said Black.

"Then it'll be you!" Harry said, pushing Hermione aside and rushing towards Black.

He grabbed the man's throat and threw him to the ground. He grabbed his wand and pointed it at Black.

He laughed. "Are you going to kill me, Harry?" he asked.

Suddenly, the door to the room burst open and Professor Lupin appeared. "Expelliarmus!" he shouted and Harry's wand flew out of his hand. He motioned for Harry to get back and he did so. Hermione grabbed him to hold him there. "Well, well, Sirius. Looking rather ragged, aren't we? Finally, the flesh reflects the madness within," Lupin said.

"Well, you'd know all about the madness within, wouldn't you, Remus?"

Lupin lowered his wand. Then, to everyone's astonishment, he helped Black up off the floor and hugged him.