CHAPTER FOURTEEN

This new information was enough to keep Arabella nearly silent for the entirety of the next day, leading Seamus, Dean, and Ginny to believe that she had not just gone to powder her nose, but instead had become upset after seeing Draco at the party. Arabella let them believe this because it was sort of true in a sense, and she couldn't tell them what had actually happened, at least not until after she and Harry spoke to her father.

They finally got the chance to at near afternoon on Christmas Day with Lupin and Tonks joining in to hear the two out.

"Voldemort has chosen Draco Malfoy for a mission?" Lupin questioned once the two teenagers had finished talking.

"We know it sounds mad," Harry told him.

"I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't heard it for myself," Arabella said.

"Has it occurred to either of you that Snape was simply pretending to offer Draco help so he could find out what he was up to?" Lupin asked.

"That's not what it sounded like," Harry said.

"Perhaps Harry and Bella are right, Remus," Tonks said. "I mean, to make an Unbreakable Vow, it's-"

"It comes down to whether or not you trust Dumbledore's judgment," Lupin said. "Dumbledore trusts Snape, therefore I do."

"Dumbledore can make mistakes," Harry said, "he said so himself."

"You're blinded by hatred."

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are. People are disappearing, Harry, daily. We can only place our trust in a handful of people. If we start fighting amongst ourselves, we're doomed."

A quiet fell amongst the group, and it felt like the conversation had come to an end. Arabella saw Tonks and Lupin exchange a look before the both of them got up, and saw something in Tonks's face when she looked at Lupin that she had been seeing for months now but had never really recognized until that moment. Suddenly understanding why the woman had been so miserable lately, Arabella got up and followed her into the kitchen.

"Tonks," she said, "can I talk to you? Outside?"

"Yeah, sure thing, Bella," Tonks said, and the two went outside, closing the door behind them.

"You're in love with Lupin," Arabella blurted. Tonks raised her eyebrows at her. "That was really straightforward, I'm sorry. Erm... I just... before, I didn't understand why you were so sad. I just assumed it was because of Sirius. But I get it now."

Tonks didn't say anything but instead withdrew her wand from her pocket and cast her Patronus: a wolf.

"It used to be a jack rabbit," she explained. "It's changed. It's the same as Remus's now. That was my giveaway, because for a long time I was denying it, like you were. Or so I've heard from Ginny." She gave the younger girl a teasing smile.

Arabella looked down at her feet, kicking the snow. "Mine's a St. Bernard. I haven't cast it in nearly a year though. I don't think Draco can cast one."

"Patronuses don't usually change, Bella. It's not a common occurrence, so don't feel bad if yours stays the same. Besides, you being able to cast a Patronus at all is an amazing feat, especially at your age."