CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Three days later, Harry would finally wake up and tell Ron, Hermione, and Arabella everything. Then Madam Pomfrey would shoo them out and they would only see him for a few minutes at a time until the end-of-year feast two weeks later.

As for exam results, Arabella got second of all first-years, right after Hermione. It was a close call, but instead of being bitter about it, Arabella was pleased that she had done so well and happy for her best friend. Seamus and Dean wound up getting better marks than they thought they would and thanked Arabella for helping them study.

It looked like Slytherin would be winning the House Cup again this year, making it the seventh year in a row. Arabella, knowing she was partly to blame, was not too excited for the last feast for this reason. That and it would mean they would be going home the next morning, and while she was excited to finally see her sister again and tell her everything in person, she wasn't looking forward to not spending time with her friends for a whole two months.

Arabella had made Seamus and Dean promise to write to her over the summer and eventually they agreed. She didn't have to try to convince Hermione and Harry; both were sad to be leaving her and Ron and had already established that they would be writing to them every chance they got. She and Ron had even talked to them about staying at their house for a bit during the holidays, and both said they would try.

As Arabella sat between Seamus and Ron at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall for the last time as a first-year, she solemnly listened as Dumbledore gave his speech.

"Another year gone. And now, as I understand it, the House Cup needs awarding. And the points stand thus: in fourth place, Gryffindor with 312 points; third place, Hufflepuff with 352 points; in second place, Ravenclaw with 426 points; and in first place, with 472 points, Slytherin House." The Slytherin table erupted with cheers, celebrating their seventh victory in a row. "Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin, well done, Slytherin. However, recent events must be taken into account. I have a few last-minute points to award." Those at the Gryffindor table exchanged hopeful glances. "To Miss Hermione Granger, for the cool use of intellect while others were in grave peril, 50 points." Hermione's face split into a huge grin and Arabella leaned across the table to high-five her. "Second, to Mr. Ronald Weasley, for the best-played game of chess that Hogwarts has seen these many years, 50 points." Pride seemed to overflow from Arabella as she engulfed her twin brother in a hug. "And third, to Mr. Harry Potter, for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor House 60 points."

The Gryffindor table cheered.

"Way to go, Harry!" said Arabella, again leaning over the table to high-five him.

"We're tied with Slytherin!" Hermione whispered excitedly.

"I know!"

"And finally," Dumbledore continued, "it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends. I award 10 points to Neville Longbottom." Neville was in shock. The Gryffindor table, along with Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, cheered, for Slytherin had just lost the House Cup for the first time in six years. "Assuming that my calculations are correct, I believe that a change of decoration is in order." He clapped and the Slytherin flags hanging above them changed to Gryffindor flags. "Gryffindor wins the House Cup."

Everyone at the Gryffindor table stood up and cheered so loud you could've heard it from anywhere on the castle grounds. Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff joined in, and those three Houses threw their hats in the air in celebration.

The next morning, all the students of Hogwarts were piling onto the Hogwarts Express to go home for the summer holidays.

Just as they had gotten on the train, Harry left them to speak with Hagrid. Ron, Arabella, and Hermione watched as Hagrid handed Harry a book, and Harry opened it and looked before thanking him. They shook hands and hugged before Harry rejoined his friends.

"Feels strange to be going home, doesn't it?" Hermione asked. Arabella agreed.

"I'm not going home," Harry answered. "Not really."

The train whistled one last time, and the four of them got onto the train to leave Hogwarts.

[word count: 759]
[written: 4/18/20]
[published: 5/16/20]