CHAPTER SIX

All anyone talked about was Sirius Black. Everyone had their own theory as to how he had managed to get in and out of the castle undetected. Arabella chose to believe that Dumbledore had all of the answers and was taking the proper precautions to make sure it didn't happen again. This eased her mind, but only a little.

Their first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson after the fact was an interesting one. Instead of Professor Lupin entering the classroom to begin the lesson, it was Professor Snape. He didn't say a word or even look at any of the students as they watched him bring down the background for the projector. Finally, he turned to them and said, "Turn to page 394."

Everyone, all very confused as to why he had them turning to the back of the textbook instead of where they had left off, obeyed. Except Harry.

"Excuse me, sir," he said. "Where's Professor Lupin?"

"That's not really your concern, is it, Potter?" He began to walk to the back of the class where the projector stood. "Suffice it to say that your professor finds himself incapable of teaching at the present time. Turn to page 394."

"But, sir," said Hermione, turning to face him from beside Harry. Arabella blinked. She had been sure the seat next to Harry had been empty just a moment before. "...we've just begun learning about Red Caps and hinkypunks. We're not meant to start nocturnal beasts for weeks."

"Quiet." He slowly walked back to the front of the class as the projector turned. "Now, which one of you can tell me the difference between an Animagus and a werewolf?" Hermione and Arabella both raised their hands. "No one? How disappointing."

"Please, sir. An Animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal. A werewolf has no choice. With each full moon, when he transforms, he no longer remembers who he is. He'd kill his best friend if he crossed his path. Furthermore, the werewolf only responds to the call of its own kind."

"That is the second time you've spoken out of turn, Miss Granger. Are you incapable of restraining yourself or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all? Five points from Gryffindor."

Arabella glared at Snape as he continued to assign an essay on werewolves which was to be two rolls of parchment long and due Monday morning.

"Sir, it's Quidditch tomorrow," Harry protested as the rest of the class groaned.

"Then I suggest you take extra care, Mr. Potter. Loss of limb will not excuse you. Page 394."

And so Arabella turned to page 394 in her book and took out some parchment, her quill, and ink and began to take notes as Professor Snape explained exactly what makes up a werewolf. Despite her hard feelings towards Snape and the essay he assigned, she and Hermione wrote their essays side by side that evening in the common room and finished them before anyone else in their class.

[word count: 516]
[written: 4/26/20]
[published: 5/26/20]