CHAPTER EIGHT

"You're late," Draco growled disapprovingly as Arabella rushed to take a seat at the table he sat at.

"I know, I'm sorry!" she said. "Ron's starting to become suspicious of me."

"What?"

"But it's okay, I think I've convinced him this time. But it's only a matter of time before he starts snooping around in here, or has someone else do it."

"It's all right. We've got Hogsmeade just before the holidays start, we could do it then."

"Yeah, okay." Arabella had hoped to use her Hogsmeade visits to spend time with Seamus and Dean and knew they wouldn't be happy if she snuck off with Draco, but business was business. "So what are we doing today?"

Ron was still watching her very closely when she got back to the common room an hour later, but she made a point not to run off anymore, and eventually, he seemed to have let it go. She had been right when she thought Seamus and Dean wouldn't be happy about her and Draco's plan to meet up during the Hogsmeade visit on the last day of term, but she assured them she wouldn't be gone the whole time and they accepted it.

Arabella and Draco walked into Hogsmeade with their friends as usual and separated from them once they were well in the village. Draco got to the Hog's Head Inn first and was waiting outside for Arabella when she arrived. They could tell it was sketchy before they even stepped inside but did so anyway. As soon as the bell rang when the door opened, they were getting stares. Arabella felt her face flush red. The two of them were looking around for a table when an old witch in raggedy robes sitting in the corner spoke.

"Awful unusual place for a date, don't you think?" she said in a scratchy voice. "Madam Puddifoot's is where you two want to be."

"Oh, we're not-" The two of them began to speak at once. Arabella's face grew even redder and Draco even turned a bit pink.

The witch let out a laugh. "Yeah. Right."

"Um, so maybe we should just-" Arabella started.

"Go?" asked Draco. "Yes. Please."

And so the two of them rushed out of there and went their separate ways, hurrying to find their friends before anyone saw them together.

"Back so soon?" Dean asked when Arabella turned up in Dervish and Banges.

"Blimey, Ari, what's happened?" Seamus asked, seeing the girl's face. "You're as red as your hair!"

"Just the cold," Arabella answered. The boys gave her questioning looks and she gave in. "Okay, fine. Some old witch thought Draco and I were on a date. Can we go to the Three Broomsticks? I'd kill for some butterbeer right now."

They began to leave the shop, but her friends were not going the let the date part go so easily.

"I don't blame her," said Seamus. "Sneaking around alone together. Anyone would think that."

"And you've started calling him Draco," said Dean. "Don't think we haven't noticed."

"What's wrong with calling him Draco?" Arabella asked.

"Because you used to just call him Malfoy like everyone else. It's weird."

"Yeah," Seamus agreed. "And now it's all Draco this and Draco that. Are you sure you weren't on a date?"

"Yes, I am sure!" Arabella snapped. "Why would you even say that?"

"Because any normal person would end these little meetings at any sign of someone being suspicious, but Malfoy wants to continue."

"That's true," Dean said. "He seems really keen on being alone with you, Ari."

"That's not true," Arabella mumbled.

"It is," Seamus said. "I mean, let's be honest, how much help does he really need? His marks weren't all that bad last year. He did better than me, and I had your help!"

"Seamus, everything you touch blows up. Have you ever thought that might have something to do with it?"

[word count: 664]
[written: 4/26/20]
[published: 5/27/20]