CHAPTER TWO

Once the boats reached the castle, Hagrid led the first years to the front doors, then told them to proceed up the stairs, where they would meet Professor McGonagall. They did so, and there was indeed a woman standing before more double doors.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall greeted them. "Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be Sorted into your Houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Now, while you're here, your House will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points. Any rule-breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the House with the most points is awarded the House Cup."

"Trevor!" a boy yelled suddenly. He rushed forward and picked up a toad from the floor. The other children sniggered, but Professor McGonagall did not. She simply stared at the boy until he apologized and took back his place in the crowd of first years.

"The Sorting Ceremony will begin momentarily," was the last thing Professor McGonagall said before walking through the double doors and leaving them.

"It's true then, what they're saying on the train," said another boy's voice. Everyone turned to look at him, and seeing his blond hair and cold gray eyes, Arabella recognized him as a Malfoy. "Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." This caused whispering to ensue around them. "This is Crabbe and Goyle." He introduced the two boys standing next to him. "And I'm Malfoy." He approached Harry as he said this. "Draco Malfoy."

Ron sniggered, and Arabella smacked his arm. When Draco turned to give them a glare, Arabella looked down at her feet.

"Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair and a hand-me-down robe? You must be Weasley's."

At this, Arabella looked up from the ground to give Draco a mean look. She knew her family's situation was not the best, but she didn't take too kindly to those who used it against them.

Draco turned back to Harry. "You'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort." Again, he gave Ron and Arabella a rude look, and they returned it. "I can help you there." He held out his hand for Harry.

Harry looked at it and said, "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks."

As Arabella looked at Harry, her jaw dropped at how effortlessly he stood up to Draco, but when she saw Professor McGonagall re-enter the room, she fixed her face and stood up straight. The stern woman tapped Draco on the shoulder with a roll of parchment, and when he looked and saw her standing there, he glared at Harry one last time and then stood next to Crabbe and Goyle once more.

"We're ready for you now. Follow me," said Professor McGonagall. Ron and Arabella gave each other nervous glances before joining their peers in following her.

The doors to the Great Hall opened before them, and the first years found themselves being amazed by what they saw yet again. This large room was lit by many torches and floating candles. They were being led through the middle, with two long tables on either side of them where their older classmates sat. Arabella smiled and waved when she saw her older brothers. Then she looked up and saw the beautiful night sky above them instead of the ceiling. She heard Hermione whisper, "It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History."