CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Harry arrived a half-hour after David had left the hospital wing and like Faustus, he went straight to a bed without saying a word. In fact, neither boy said a single word until the following morning.

First thing after breakfast, Seamus and Dean came running towards Arabella as she lay in a bed, studying for the O.W.L.s.

"We were worried sick about you, Ari," Dean said, hugging her.

"Yeah," Seamus agreed. "McGonagall's told us you might not want to talk about what happened, though, so we won't ask."

"Whenever you're ready, we're here."

Arabella gave them both a grateful smile. "Thanks, guys," she said. "I might not ever have to tell you, though, it could very well be in the Daily Prophet."

"It's not," Hermione cut in, overhearing the conversation. "Not anything near the full story, at least. But there is something else you might be interested in." She attempted to throw the newspaper across the room to Arabella but instead it landed in the middle, nowhere near either of them.

"You're terrible at throwing, Mione."

Dean grabbed the newspaper off of the floor and the three of them read it together, having a right good laugh over Fudge calling Voldemort 'Lord Thingy'. The article mentioned the Death Eaters that had been apprehended and sent to Azkaban, again reminding Arabella of something.

"I'm sorry, guys, I've got to go," she said to Seamus and Dean suddenly, and then, sitting up, she called out, "Madam Pomfrey? Am I able to go?"

The matron seemed to think about it for a moment. "I suppose, dear," she said. "Just be careful!"

"Thank you so much." Arabella scrambled out of her bed and turned to Seamus and Dean again before running out. "I'm sorry, guys, I've just really got to do something! I'll be back!"

She then burst out of the infirmary and through the castle, looking everywhere for the person she needed to see. She knew they would be alone, she just was not sure where.

She wandered out onto the grounds, ignoring the stares and whispers. She had not bothered changing into fresh clothes, meaning she still looked fresh out of battle.

"Just got back from a visit home, Weasley?" she heard Pansy call out to her followed by the shrieking laughter of her and her friends. Usually, a jab at her parents and her home life would have angered Arabella, but she was so preoccupied at that moment that she didn't even notice and walked right past them.

Finally, near the Black Lake, she found who she was looking for, sat against a beech tree.

"Draco?" she said in a soft voice.

He looked up at her, his expression unreadable. For a second, he looked like he might say something, but he didn't, and instead looked back out at the lake. Knowing that he definitely would have said so if he didn't want her there, Arabella tentatively sat down next to him. When he still didn't say anything or move at all, she hesitantly took his hand.

"I'm sorry. No one should have to live without their dad."

For a few minutes, the two of them sat in silence.