CHAPTER TWENTY

As Arabella looked over the map of Hogwarts, apparently called the Marauder's Map, she couldn't help but notice that she could not find Draco anywhere. Not in the library, not in the Slytherin common room or dormitories, not even walking the corridors.

"You said this map shows everybody?" she asked Hermione.

"Yes," Hermione answered.

"Then why can't I see Draco?"

As Hermione got up to take a look at the map herself, Ron said, "You know, Harry mentioned not being able to see Malfoy on the map a lot of the time. He became quite obsessed with it, actually."

"He must be somewhere that the map doesn't show," Hermione said. "That's got to be it. I mean, he can't have left, could he?"

"He probably could if he really wanted to," Arabella reasoned. "Think about it. Whatever he's been planning, Snape vowed to help him with it. If it involved leaving Hogwarts, Snape would have to help him, meaning he would likely get away with it. Especially since Dumbledore trusts him, and he's gone..."

"Dumbledore's gone?" Seamus asked, coming upon the scene with Dean. "Why would Dumbledore leave?"

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"What's going on? Why does everyone seem so... tense?" Dean questioned, looking around at everyone.

"It's a lot to explain. Just know that something is likely going to happen tonight. I wouldn't go to bed if I were you."

"Oh, that sounds lovely."

As her friends and family whispered amongst themselves, questioning her mental state, Arabella continued to pace back and forth, her eyes scanning the map. She saw Snape standing quite still in the seventh floor corridor. Suddenly, it registered in her mind that he was standing outside of the Room of Requirement. She was just about to say something about it when she noticed movement and saw with horror that names of people who definitely did not belong inside the castle were appearing on the map, apparently exiting the Room of Requirement and joining Snape: Bellatrix Lestrange, Fenrir Greyback, Alecto Carrow, Amycus Carrow, Corban Yaxley, and Thorfinn Rowle, among others. All led by Draco Malfoy.

"Oh my god," said Arabella, standing stock still as she watched the Death Eaters move about in the castle. Everything that had happened from August up until then was finally coming together in her brain. "Oh no. Oh, how could I be so stupid! The Vanishing Cabinet... it must be in the Room of Requirement... that's what he was mending it for! To let Death Eaters into the castle!"

"I beg your pardon?" said Ginny as a few others let out noises and mutterings of shock, confusion, and disbelief.

"What do you mean he's let Death Eaters into the castle?" Hermione asked apprehensively.

Arabella shoved the map into Hermione's hands and pointed to the spot where the Death Eaters were. "Look! Six Death Eaters, and look who's with them! Snape and Draco!" she said.

"Oh, Merlin," Ron said, looking at the map over Hermione's shoulder. "That Lestrange woman again?"

"They're not the only company we've got," Hermione said. "Lupin, Tonks, and Bill are just arriving - Henry and Jade Wood, too. McGonagall and Flitwick are joining them. Looks like Dumbledore suspected something might happen, too - he hasn't left us unattended after all."