CHAPTER TWO

The journey to King's Cross station was very different from last year. This time, they had Hermione and her new cat, and they were to be picked up by special cars sent by the Ministry of Magic to escort them to the train station. Arabella briefly wondered why this was, but then figured it was because Sirius Black, a known mass murderer, had recently escaped from Azkaban. The thought of a murderer wandering around undetected worried her, but since she couldn't think of any reason she or anyone she cared about would be in danger, she didn't let it consume her.

After saying goodbye to their parents, the Weasley children plus Harry and Hermione boarded the Hogwarts Express. Percy left to find his girlfriend, Penelope Clearwater, Fred and George went to find their friend, Lee Jordan, Ron, Harry, and Hermione left to find a compartment by themselves, which left Ginny and Arabella on their own.

During the previous school year, Ginny, who was a first-year at the time, had been controlled by a memory of Lord Voldemort and forced to open the Chamber of Secrets. With all of this going on, she didn't really have time to make any friends. Arabella, however, had Seamus and Dean, and Ginny usually hung around with the three of them. To find them, the girls decided to split up, going in opposite directions in order to find the boys.

Arabella had only been looking for a few moments when she was suddenly pushed into an empty compartment. Shocked and confused, she turned to see Draco Malfoy shutting the compartment door behind him and drawing the curtains.

Instinctively, Arabella took her wand out. "What do you want, Malfoy?" she asked in an angry tone.

"I want to know how you do it," said Draco, turning to face her.

"How I do what?"

"Your marks. You had the best in our year last year. How?"

"Because Hermione was Petrified."

"Oh, come off it. You'd still have perfect marks even if Granger hadn't gone and gotten herself attacked."

"So? What's it matter to you?"

"It matters because... because my grades aren't where they need to be, all right?"

"Is this your way of asking for help?"

"That depends. Will you?"

"What's in it for me?"

Draco thought. "I'll pay you. However much you want. God knows your family needs it."

"If you want me to help you, Malfoy, I suggest not insulting my family."

"Fine. I just meant... with Hogsmeade this year, maybe you'll actually be able to afford something."

"Wow, my hero."

"So will you help me or what?"

Arabella considered. On one hand, Draco had gotten her in serious trouble more than once and had never said a single nice word to any of her family or friends. On another, he seemed to really want to do better in school, whatever his reasons for it, and Arabella was always willing to help someone who was struggling. Also, it must've taken a lot for him to come off his high horse and actually ask for help, and Arabella had to give him credit for it.