CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

"So what is it you wanted to tell me?" Tonks asked Arabella as they and Ginny sat down on the beds in the bedroom the girls had stayed in during the summer.

"I don't think she necessarily wants to tell you," Ginny reasoned. "It's not a very happy subject."

"Oh." Tonks looked at Arabella with a soft expression.

"It's not all miserable, either," Arabella said, shooting her sister a look. "You don't have to act as if someone died, Ginny."

And she continued on to tell Tonks all about the first Quidditch match of the season, including 'Weasley Is Our King,' and the fist fight after the match which resulted in Fred, George, and Harry being banned from Quidditch for life. She then told her about her and Draco's breakup and trying out for the Gryffindor Quidditch team and becoming Beater with Ginny becoming Seeker.

"Wow, that's a lot to take in," Tonks said. "Okay, so, first.. you were dating Draco Malfoy?"

"Yes," Arabella said, nodding.

"Why?"

Arabella threw her head back, tired of everyone asking that question, while Ginny couldn't help but laugh.

"I asked her that question every day," Ginny told Tonks. "She never gave me a good answer."

"That's because I don't have to explain myself to you or to anyone," Arabella snapped at her.

"Okay, fair enough," Tonks said, raising her hands as if to surrender. "I won't ask that question again. So, the Slytherins found out Ron was the new Gryffindor Keeper and didn't like that so they made a song to embarrass him and make him feel bad and sang it at the match?"

"Yes," the sisters confirmed.

"Then Gryffindor won the match anyway so Malfoy started insulting your parents and Harry's parents?"

"Yes."

"And George and Harry beat him to a pulp?"

"Almost."

"And Dolores Umbridge banned them and Fred from playing Quidditch for life?"

"Yes."

"Then you broke up with Malfoy in front of a bunch of people," Tonks motioned to Arabella, "and you both tried out for the Gryffindor team and made it?"

"Yes."

Tonks smiled and raised her hands up to them for a high-five. "Atta girls!"

The next day, still in their bedroom, Arabella was studying for the upcoming O.W.L.s while Ginny talked to her about something. Arabella was only half-listening, saying "uh-huh", "yeah", and "right" whenever Ginny paused. Suddenly, the younger girl gasped and jumped up from her bed.

"Evie!" she exclaimed, hugging the girl. "What are you doing here?"

"I've come to see you, of course," Evelyn told her. "How are you? How's your dad?"

"I'm fine, and so is Dad. He would be fit to come home if he'd stop bleeding." Evelyn's eyes widened, leading Ginny to explain more. "The snake's venom-"

"The snake?"

"Oh, that's right. Of course they wouldn't tell you."

"Close the door," Arabella advised them without looking up from her textbook. "We don't need an adult walking in here and telling us it's none of our business."

Ginny closed the door and then she and Evelyn took a seat on her bed.

"Okay," Ginny began, "what do you know?"

"Liv asked Professor McGonagall what was going on as soon as she found out that you all were missing from Hogwarts," Evelyn said, "and Professor McGonagall told her that your dad was seriously hurt so you were all sent back here."

"She didn't say what caused Dad to become seriously hurt?"

Evelyn shook her head.

"All right," Ginny said, "so Dad was on guard duty for the Order when this giant snake came up and attacked him. He's fine now, but the venom is preventing his wounds from closing, so he's staying in the hospital until they find an antidote."

"Are they going to find one?" Evelyn asked.

"Dad says so. He says they've seen worse cases than his, so fingers crossed."

"But what was he guarding? And where?"

"Your guess is as good as ours, but we've concluded that it's the weapon that Sirius told us all about during the summer, the thing that You-Know-Who's after. That snake was You-Know-Who's, you know. They won't admit it, but it's the only thing that makes any sort of sense."

Just then, they heard a knock on the bedroom door.

"Come in!" Arabella and Ginny called.

The door opened and Hermione entered.

"Mione!" Arabella exclaimed, getting up from her bed and hugging her just like Ginny had done to Evelyn. "What are you doing here? What about your skiing trip?"

"I'm here for you, obviously," Hermione replied. "I couldn't just go on a fun holiday knowing what was going on back here."

"But your parents-"

"-will be fine. They're a little disappointed, but they understand. To be honest, skiing isn't really my thing anyway."

Arabella smiled and pulled her best friend back into a hug. "I'm so glad you're here. Ginny was driving me up the wall."

"I am right here," Ginny spoke up.

"I know, that's why I said it," Arabella responded, again pulling away from Hermione and sending a look in her sister's direction. "Come on, let's go to Ron's room. He'll be glad you're here, too."

[word count: 859]
[written: 7/17/20]
[published: 8/20/20]