CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Back in August, Molly had purchased dress robes for her daughters while they were at the Quidditch World Cup. She had made sure that the girls packed them in their trunks when they left for school, but they hadn't really thought about them until the Yule Ball was announced.

It seemed all anyone cared about now was getting a date. In fact, that was what Seamus and Dean were discussing with Arabella in the common room before they were to be leaving for Hogsmeade.

"I asked Lavender yesterday," Seamus said.

"And she said yes?" Arabella asked. Seamus nodded. "Have you asked anyone, Dean?"

"Not yet, but I've been thinking about asking Evie. You know, Ginny's friend," Dean said. "She won't be able to go otherwise."

"They're not just friends."

The boys' eyes widened. "What?" they asked.

"They're best friends."

"Oh."

"What were you two thinking?"

"Nothing!" they answered frantically.

"Okay," Arabella said slowly. "You might want to get a move on, then, Dean. I've heard lots of people already have dates."

"Yeah, I know," Dean said. "I was thinking I'd ask her today in Hogsmeade."

"Wait," Seamus said, "if you're going to be with Evelyn, and Ari's gonna be with Malfoy, then what am I supposed to do?"

"You could hang out with Lavender," Arabella suggested.

"No. We're going to the ball together, we're not dating."

"So? Dean and Evelyn aren't dating. Draco and I aren't dating."

"Yes, but Dean's trying to score a date and let's face it, you and Malfoy will be dating before the year's out."

"Who do you think you are? Professor Trelawney?"

"Don't compare me to that dingbat."

"Okay, okay, shut up," Dean said, not wanting to listen to them bicker all day. "Seamus, you could probably run around with Neville. He'll probably be alone otherwise."

"No! He'll try to dance with me." Arabella raised a questioning eyebrow at him. "We've caught him dancing by himself in the dormitory at least three times now. I don't know why he bothers, I can't think of anyone who would go to the ball with him."

"Don't say that," Arabella said. "I'm sure there's someone who will go with him. And if there isn't, I will. If he's that excited to attend, I'd hate for him to have to do it alone."

"But let's be honest, you'd rather go with someone else."

"Yes, I would rather go with someone I like. Not that I don't like Neville, just not in that way."

"Okay, so who is someone you like if it isn't Malfoy?"

"No one." Seamus and Dean raised their eyebrows at her. "Okay, maybe Cedric, but I think he's dating Cho Chang."