CHAPTER FIVE

Arabella's fourth year at Hogwarts was already turning out to be much different from the rest.

Her teachers were already giving out lots of homework, and their explanation for this was that their O.W.L. exams were coming up. O.W.L. exams were taken in the fifth year, but Arabella agreed with her teachers when they said that they needed all the practice they could get. And so, she did not complain and was instead grateful.

Divination was one of her least favorite subjects, but this year, Professor Trelawney was having them fill out worksheets and predict the near future based on where the planets are at a given time. Arabella absolutely loved Astronomy and astrology and anything to do with stars and planets, so this made the usually dull and disappointing class more exciting for her.

In Potions, Draco and Arabella would often move to sit next to one another while they worked. Because only a select few people knew that they were friends, they had to keep quiet if they talked. Despite their efforts, however, Ron would shoot glares at them from across the room and Harry would just refuse to talk to Arabella during class. Hermione was sympathetic but still did not like it.

Also during Potions or any class she had with the Slytherins, really, Arabella would notice Pansy Parkinson glaring at her. She was not too fond of this girl, so naturally, she would glare back.

As it turns out, Mad-Eye Moody had come to Hogwarts to teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. The idea of having an Auror teach them was exciting, so when Arabella finally had him, she sat near the front of the class.

After taking attendance, Professor Moody addressed them all.

"Alastor Moody," he introduced himself, then turned to the blackboard behind him where he wrote his name before turning back to face the class. "Ex-Auror, Ministry malcontent, and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

Arabella and Dean exchanged nervous glances, but nobody said anything or raised their hand, so Moody continued.

"When it comes to the Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?"

"Three, sir," Hermione said.

"And they are so named?" Moody once again turned back to the blackboard and began to write.

"'Cause they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them will-"

"Earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban. Correct. Now, the Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared! You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!"

"Oh, no way," Seamus groaned quietly. "The old codger can see out the back of his head."

Moody turned around and chucked the chalk in his hand at Seamus, having it narrowly miss him, earning gasps from the rest of the class. "And hear across classrooms! So, which curse shall we see first? Weasley!"

"Yes?" Ron and Arabella said, jumping at the sudden yell.

"Oh, yes, I forgot, there's two of you. Again. Uh, let's see... which of you is older?"