CHAPTER SIX

The following weeks leading up to Halloween were uneventful compared to the first. Harry and Ron managed to stay out of trouble and there were no more incidents during class. Hermione and Arabella continued to get closer every day, even when they were neck-and-neck for the best in the class. The only class in which this wasn't the case was Potions, where they were ignored for Draco. Every time a question was asked, Hermione, Arabella, and Draco always raised their hands, and every time, only Draco was called on. Whenever this would happen, he would smirk at the girls as soon as Professor Snape's back was turned.

On Halloween, the last class of the day was Charms. Professor Flitwick had finally decided to teach the class how to make things fly. This was something Arabella and her classmates had been looking forward to since they learned what Charms class would entail, so they were pretty excited to finally use the spell.

Professor Flitwick paired everyone up; Harry was to work with Seamus, Arabella was to work with Dean Thomas, and Ron and Hermione were to work together. Though she didn't hate having to work with Dean, Arabella found herself feeling bad for Hermione and jealous of Ron.

After giving it a few tries and not being successful in making the feather in front of him fly, Arabella offered, "Do you want me to show you?" Dean agreed, and Arabella recited the spell "Wingardium leviosa," used the proper wand movement, and made the feather levitate. As Professor Flitwick noticed, the class went silent.

"Well done! See here, everyone, Miss Granger's done it!" said the small professor in his squeaky voice. "Oh, and Miss Weasley as well! Splendid! Well done, girls, well done!"

Hermione and Arabella turned and smiled at each other as Ron put his head down.

Soon, Seamus decided to try again on his feather. "Wingard leviosa. Wingard levio-" There was a boom and a flash of bright light, startling those in the classroom and causing them to look over at Seamus, who was again covered in soot.

"I think we're going to need another feather over here, professor," said Harry.

"Oh, Seamus," said Arabella, not being able to suppress her giggles. "You've really got to stop doing that."

After class, Harry, Ron, Seamus, Dean, and Arabella left class together, walking to the Great Hall in a group.

"It's Levi-OH-sa, not Levio-SA," Ron mocked Hermione. "She's a nightmare, honestly! No wonder she hasn't got any friends."

Just then, Hermione rushed past them, sniffling, with her head down.

"Hermione!" Arabella called, speeding up to catch up to her.

"Just leave me alone!" Hermione said, not slowing down or looking back.

Arabella stopped walking and rounded on Ron. "For your information, Ronald, I happen to be her friend and I think she's brilliant. And you know what else I think? I think you're jealous that you're not as good as her, and if I am right about that, which I always am, you need to get over it and maybe try a little harder in your studies." With that, she turned and sped off towards the Great Hall, wanting to follow her new friend and comfort her, but respecting her wishes all the same.

The sight of the Great Hall being decorated for Halloween and being filled with colorful, beautifully-smelling food cheered Arabella up a bit, but when her brothers arrived and sat next to her, she made George sit in between her and Ron.