28 | On a Scale From 1-10

«Flynn's POV»

It was two in the morning but I still couldn't fall asleep. All I was aware of was Madeline's body next to mine. Hopefully I didn't get a boner or anything. That would've been awkward.

"I love you, Madeline." I whispered and closed my eyes, finally content.

-

"Mad, it's time t-" I heard someone calling and the creaking of a door opening. "Flynn? What are you doing here?"

I looked up and saw Madeline's father. I cringed and have him a look of disgust. The last time I saw him, I think he said something along the lines of "You little shit". Not exactly my dream welcoming committee. "Yeah, it's me."

"Listen, we got off on the wrong foot. I've done some terrible things and I'm not going to ask you to try to forget that, because I know you probably can't. I'm just asking for forgiveness."

He looked so sincere and genuinely concerned that I couldn't help but give in. "Fine, but that doesn't mean I like you."

He smiled. "As long as you forgive me, I'm okay. But just wondering, you and Madeline didn't..."

"Oh, no. I'll just wake her up now." I said awkwardly and he left us alone.

"Madeline." I shook her gently. "It's time to get up."

"Five more minutes."

"Five more seconds."

"Five more hours."

"Five more milliseconds."

"Five more days."

"Get up."

"Okay." She rubbed her eyes and yawned. "I'm so tired."

"Tell me about it." I got out of bed and stretched. "I couldn't fall asleep."

"Me neither. I didn't fall asleep until like two."

My eyes widened. That was when... I chuckled nervously. "Oh."

"Listen, Flynn. Just in case I ever lose you again, I want to say this. I-I, uh, really like you. Probably not in the way you're thinking, but in the, like, like like way."

"Really?" I grinned. "Because on a scale from one to ten-"

"I'm a nine and you're the one I need?" She rolled her shoulders.

"More like YOU'RE a one and I'm a nine, because there's always room for improvement. So I guess I'm like a 9.99."

"Yeah, well."

"But in all seriousness, to put it in your terms, I 'like, like like' you too." I slipped my hand into hers.

"Hate to ruin the moment, but if we don't get moving, we'll be late for school." Madeline got up and began gathering clothes from a dresser that had been shoved in the corner.

"Uh, okay. I'll just get breakfast ready, then." Her dad was waiting outside of the door for me, with breakfast bars in his hand.

"Okay, thanks." I grabbed them and went outside to start the car. Realizing that I had left my phones (both the old and the new) in the car, I went to turn the newer on.

12 missed calls

2 new voice mail

69 new messages

I wonder who those are from...

Gaige. Whenever he was trying to get my attention and I didn't answer, he would spam me with exactly 69 messages. As you can see, the level of maturity is very high.

Madeline plopped into the passenger seat. "Ready for departure?"

"As long as you're by my side, co-pilot."

We arrived at the school and went our separate ways. "We'll talk later, okay?" I grinned.

"Okay." She finished, and gave me a quick hug. "See you later, loser."

I watched after her as she made her way to AP Psych. "Whipped." Gaige snickered when he met me at the lockers.

"Whatever. What about you and Fawn?" I questioned. "I haven't seen much of her lately."

"You don't know, do you?" Gaige asked vaguely.

"Um, what?" I said, just as the bell rang. We made our way into the history room and I followed him back to his seat.

"I'll tell you after class." He mumbled and sat down. I went up to my seat right by the teacher's desk. She hated me because I always talked while she did. It wasn't my fault that I had a lot of friends. I was just generally a talkative person.

History went by slowly as did Life Skills and Gym. After I got out of the gymnasium, Meghan cornered me. "Hey Flynn."

"Um, hi."

"So how about a kiss?" She smiled and looked up at me with wide eyes. "Because let's be honest, you and Madeline won't be getting together any time soon."

I put my hands on her shoulders and told her firmly, "Look, honestly I'm not interested so-"

She cut me off with a passionate kiss. Right as Madeline turned the corner.

A/N: TURN UP NEW UPDATE

ALSO GO CHECK OUT MY NEW STORY THE HANGING TREE BC IM RLY HYPE

SO 20 VOTES TO THE NEXT CHAPTER AYEE