19 | There Isn't A word In The Dictionary

«Madeline's POV»

I left after that. I ran out of the building before anybody could see the tears in my eyes and started the car and left. I left for good. You aren't going back, I told myself. You can't. He told you not to. A jumble of emotions were swirling around in my head. I was mad, angry, sad, nervous--but most of all I was hurt. He had shut me out, yet again. He had told me to leave him, hurt, in the hospital. I couldn't do that. The only reason I left was because of the pain I saw in his eyes. How much it hurt him that I was missing out on things because of him. What he said hit me with a pang in the stomach; Most of all I don't deserve you by my side. You need to leave before I ruin your life too.

I took a deep breath to calm myself. He'd be fine. He was in the hands of good people. I knew Alice and Luke would make sure that he got the best of the best. But what I needed was some quality sleep. I hadn't slept at all for the past three days. I felt like a zombie, but I needed to get home. Home. I shuddered. At least, not MY home. Maybe I'd stay at Flynn's for a while... you know, casually shift through his stuff for clues. Clues as to why he was so broken. I mean, yeah, I was obviously listening during the showdown with his dad, but I didn't know the back story. You always needed to know the back story.

Gaige still hadn't returned my texts or calls. I decided to try again one last time. I set my phone down on the dashboard after pressing speaker and listened to it ring.

After the fifth ring, I was very sure he wouldn't answer but he did. "Hello?"

"Um, hi Gaige." I said. "It's Madeline."

"Oh, hey. How's Flynn doing?" He sounded distressed.

"Are you okay? You haven't been answering any of my calls or texts. Oh god, I sound like a jealous girlfriend." I grimaced.

Gaige chuckled. "I just got my phone back literally two minutes ago."

"Rough," I remarked. "Grounded?"

"Yeah."

"What for?" I asked.

"It's a long story." He sighed.

"I got time. I still have four hours to go before I get home." I calculated the hours.

"You're leaving?" He asked, voice laced with concern. "Why?"

"Flynn told me to."

"He's awake?" He asked. "Like I said, I just got my phone back before you explode on me."

"He woke up five days ago," I explained. "And boy, have I got a lot to tell you."

"I'm listening." And that was how I spent two hours of the long drive home telling him the story of the disastrous past week, ending with the fiasco when Flynn told me to leave. "Don't worry," Gaige comforted me. "That's just how he is. He did that when his mom died. He ranted about how he could handle this and all that other crap that he told you. It's how he handles things. He pushes everyone away."

"Okay," I relented, after questioning him a few times. "Now on to what's got you so distressed."

"I kind of don't want to talk about it." He proclaimed.

"Well, know that either way you're going to because you need to tell somebody. I can tell."

He let out a deep breath. "Fawn's pregnant."

"WHAT?!" I shrieked.

"I knew you would react like that." Gaige sighed dejectedly. "And before you ask, yes. I'm the father. We didn't use protection because it was her first time and we didn't think that there would be consequences. This is why I wished Flynn were here because he wouldn't take it too seriously. He'd just pat me on the head, say 'You little man-whore' with his trademark smirk and then continue to help me get through this."