24 | Girl, Are You The Sun?

«Madeline's POV»

The rest of the ride was spent with me driving and Gaige and Flynn sleeping. To say the least, it was uneventful. But we got home around five in the afternoon. We went to Flynn's house so he could gather my necessities.

When he opened the door, the house was a wreck. "Did you guys forget to tell me about a break-in or something?"

"Actually," I spoke up. "That was you."

His eyes narrowed in a complete sense of suspicion. "How am I supposed to trust you?"

I felt my eyes widen in hurt. "What do you mean? Of course you can trust me."

He looked to Gaige as if for confirmation. "So did I really do this?"

You will not cry. I refuse to cry. Crying? Definitely not going to happen. Right? This is all just an act. He HAS to trust you. He has to.

Suddenly, I was overcome by pure frustration. If he won't remember me, I'm done. Just, absolutely done. This was tearing me apart; I couldn't take it much longer. "Look, Chaste. If you aren't capable of remembering me-or even trusting me, for that matter-then we're obviously not going to work out in the end. So just..." I placed my head in my hands.

"Madeline," Gaige lifted my head up. "You're not the only one going through this. The nurse said he wasn't going to remember right away. We ARE going to get through it, together. And we aren't going to let one small bump in the road stop us completely. We're going to pump the tire back up and keep moving, okay?"

"Wow Gaige, I never knew you could be so philosophical." Flynn said with a snicker.

"Shut up."

Flynn grinned and then started over to the stairs. "I'll just get my stuff and be right back."

"So..." Gaige nudged me. "You want to tell me what that little explosion was about?"

"Nothing." I said, hanging my head abashedly. Of course Flynn would remember me.

An awkward silence settled over the two of us, just like it always did.

"Anyone want to tell me who went through my personal things?" Flynn called from over by the banister. "I don't know why they would. Honestly, you would be able to figure out that it was private, seeing that the drawer was closed and locked."

I paled. Should I tell him it was me?

"It wasn't me," Gaige put his hands up. "I swear it."

"Cross your heart and hope to die?" Flynn teased.

"Obviously."

"Alright, whatever," Flynn shook it off. "Since we had the big deal about trust, Madeline, I'm going to trust that you didn't do it."

I am a terrible person. "The thing is, I did do it."

"Wait, what?"

"I broke into your drawer and read your notebook." I looked him straight in the eye. "And I am so, so sorry."

A defensive look came over his face and he glanced at Gaige. He walked over and then whispered something in his ear.

"Actually," I grabbed their attention. "There's something very interesting in there that you wrote. It might help you remember me a little more. Can I see the book?"

"Sure, I guess." Flynn tossed it over to me.

I flipped through the pages and started to read aloud, "But then I met this girl named Madeline. She kept me out of trouble. At first, she was just a girl from a bet. But then, she just kept getting better and better. She didn't get hurt by my idiotic jokes, she fought fire with fire. She didn't back down. She even had a dark past like me. With her, I didn't feel like I was alone. Someone else could relate. It's true, I never shared my past with her, but I was going to tell her sooner or later. But the point was, she was the kindest person I had ever met. She didn't get mad easily. She helped me when times were rough. I knew that she would stay by my side. For that, I'm slowly starting to fall for her. And I'll bet she has a bandaid for me when I fall."

"There's no way I wrote that."

"Come over here and take a look." I challenged.

Flynn loped over and skimmed the page. "I don't remember writing that."

"Of course you don't, dumbass." Gaige cut in.

"Is that really appropriate for this?" I asked just as he and Flynn erupted into laughter. In turn, I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, now seems like a good time for a pick up line." Gaige whispered loudly. Real subtle.

"Damn girl, are you the sun?" Flynn bit his lip and I wanted to die right then. He was literally the most idiotic person I had ever met, yet I loved every last bit of him.

"Because I brighten up your day?" I smiled my million watt grin.

"Because you need to stay about 92,960,000 miles away from me." Flynn winked and turned around to put some distance between us.

"Wow, okay." I joked.

"Guys, there's still time left in the day." Gaige stepped between us. "Off to AT&T!"

"Why would we go there?" A look of confusion spread across Flynn's face.

"No time to explain! Let's go!" Gaige grinned maniacally and tugged us out the door. This is going to be interesting.

Twenty minutes later, we were standing outside of the dark store, furiously shivering.

"H-here, y-you can have m-m-my jacket." Flynn shrugged off his coat and handed it to me, teeth chattering all the while.

"But then you'll be cold!" I pushed the jacket away, although screaming inside my head. He offered me his jacket! Am I making a bigger deal out of this than I should?

"N-no, s-seriously. Y-you t-t-take it." He shivered violently and wrapped the coat around my shoulders.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Gaige wink at me and I sent him the death glare. "So why are we here, exactly?"

"This is where you guys first met." Gaige explained. "I told you to go in and introduce yourself, you know? Do your thing."

"And you did alright." I smiled at the memory.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Flynn asked, looking nervous.

"You'll see." Gaige wriggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Someone get me out of here.

A/N: first off, let me say that i am so,so sorry for the late update. im four days off! i feel so bad.

but also, i'll try to get the next one up sooner [18 votes?] than i did this time. i just had like major writers block and on top of that, it's finals week. #ew

in two weeks, second semester at my school will be starting. which means a lot more work for me because i have what they call an "unbalanced schedule" so that sucks :( but ill try to write just as much for you guys. ily!

another thing, im sorry that i haven't been writing in Flynn's POV as often. like it used to alternate POVs every other chapter but now, obviously, that's stopped. so the next chapter will be in his POV :)

and I'm so sorry for the terrible chapter. but everybody has their ups and downs, am I right? no? okay. it was like a filler chapter... but it was terrible anyway.

AND I JUST REALIZED THAT THERES LIKE ONLY SIX CHAPTERS LEFT NOOOOO

dedicated to @supersoria for the banner to the side. thanks!