09 | Somebody Call Life Alert...

«Madeline's POV»

The following morning, Flynn picked me up from my HOUSE. I was sliding on my shoes when my dad appeared in front of me. "Um," He said. "There's a boy here for you. He says his name is, uh..." He trailed off.

"Flynn?" I finished for him.

"Yeah," Dad agreed awkwardly. "He said he'll be giving you rides from now on. Nice boy."

"Sure," I said vaguely.

"Well, he's waiting out front." Dad kissed me on the forehead. "Have a good day at school."

I probably won't. By now the cheerleaders will have spread a nasty rumor about me, and everybody will have believed it.

I ran out the door and clambered into Flynn's car, expecting him to greet me with a stupid pickup line. But instead, I got total silence. He didn't even acknowledge me.

"Flynn?" I asked. "Are you okay?"

He looked over at me. "Yeah, I'm fine." He really wasn't. His eyes were bloodshot and there were bags under his eyes. "How about you? How are you holding up?"

"Um, why?" I questioned nervously.

"Have you not heard the rumor?"

"No, what is it?"

"Well," Flynn paused for suspense. "Apparently you're an attention-seeking slut who's throwing herself at me to gain popularity."

"Absolute bull." We said together.

"Jinx!" He yelled. "You owe me a soda!"

We arrived at the school and climbed out of the car, only to resume the debate. "I owe you nothing!" I proclaimed.

"Excuse me," He started, only for me to interrupt him.

"You are excused."

"Let us consult the rules of jinxing." Flynn said, pulling out a sleek iPhone 6. How much money did this guy have? I'd bet anything he had a butler.

"Ha!" He shouted victoriously, attracting a lot of attention--not that he wasn't already. I mean, the guy had a fanclub for crying out loud! Flynn shoved the phone in my face and I scanned it quickly.

I sighed in defeat and said sarcastically, "Always believe Google, Google is always right!"

He laughed and then sneezed. "I sneezed this time because God blessed me with Google."

I, being the mature person I was, stuck my tongue out at him.

"Somebody call life alert, because-" He started.

"Because you've fallen for me and can't get back up?" I asked.

"No, I'm losing brain cells because of your stupidity." Flynn laughed heartily while I rolled my eyes. I seemed to be doing that a lot lately. I'd be surprised if they don't get stuck one day. It'd probably be courtesy of Flynn.

"Oh, guess what?" He asked.

"You're actually Voldemort?" I blurted.

"Um, no? At least I don't think so," He played along. "What I was going to say was, there's a pep rally today and you should come."

"When is it?" I asked.

"Free period." Flynn answered.

"I can't, I have-"

"Work, I know. Which is why I got you the day off." He cut me off.

"Really?" I squealed. Hey, in my defense, I had NEVER gotten a day off before.

"I pulled a few strings here and there." He smiled.

A guy approached us. "Hey Flynn," He greeted his friend and then turned to me. "You must be the lovely Madeline everyone's talking about."

"The things they're saying aren't so lovely, are they?" I grimaced.

"One guy said you were actually a terrorist plotting to take over the town."

"Unbelievable," I muttered. "So what's your name?"

He gasped dramatically and placed a hand over his heart. "You don't know who I am? That hurts." He laughed. "Gaige Turner."

"He's the quarterback." Flynn chirped in helpfully.

"He's the captain of the soccer team." Gaige pointed at Flynn, who scoffed.

"She already knew that, right?" He asked me.

"Actually, no." I responded truthfully.

"WHAT?" They both yelled at the same time.

"How do you not know that?" Flynn asked incredulously as Gaige exclaimed, "He's the most popular guy in school!"

"I know, he even has a fanclub for Pete's sake!" I groaned.

"Completely ridiculous."

"Absolutely bonkers."

"You both know I'm standing right here." Flynn interjected.

"Do you hear something, Gaige?" I asked.

"No, it was probably someone very unimportant, if someone at all." Gaige caught on immediately.

"You guys go from obsessing over my fanclub to pretending I don't exist?" Flynn rolled his eyes. "Girls. Talk about mood swings."

"Hey!" Gaige exclaimed indignantly. "I am NOT a girl!"

"Are you one-hundred percent positive?" Flynn asked with a raised eyebrow.

Gaige shrugged and we all laughed as the first bell rang. Gaige and Flynn headed off to AP History while I went to AP Psych. I could feel all the stares burning through me as I walked down the hall. I even heard some laughter and snickers at my expense, which really made me want to go run and hide. But instead, I held my head high and strutted through the hallways like nothing was wrong.

A/N: Werk, Madeline. Show them who's boss. idk tbh

also the new cover is by @toublerones and her friend Le! I love it! yay! so this chapter is dedicated to them. also, tell me whether you like the actual cover or the one to the side better bc idk i like them both