20 | How Are You?

«Madeline's POV»

I dropped the phone in shock. I let out a scream, and people started staring. Running into the bathroom, I collapsed into tears.

"What, did your nonexistent boyfriend break up with you?" Meghan said, looking up from her blush.

"I would slap you but I don't want to get slut on my hands." I retorted angrily.

"That's hilarious," She smiled fakely.

"Just like your life." I smiled back, composed myself, and strutted out of the room.

I walked the hallways, dangerously wobbly on my feet. But I somehow managed to make it to second block. Life Skills. To make matters worse, I was scheduled to present my project that day.

"Madeline?" Mr. Clyde asked as I stumbled into the classroom. "Are you okay?"

"Just peachy," I smiled and walked to my seat.

Gaige loped over to me. "What's wrong?"

"It's Flynn." I said. "He, uh... he-" I faltered, not being able to say anything else. I slid my phone out of my back pocket, flipped it open, and showed him the text.

His face paled, and his lip started to quiver. "No..." He whimpered. "That can't be true." No, Gaige can't freak out! He was supposed to be the strong one of the group! If he broke down, there was no telling whether I'd be able to live my calmness out any longer.

"Mr. Turner, please return to your seat." Mr. Clyde called out. Gaige rolled his eyes but did it anyway. "And Ms. Schultz, I believe it's your turn to present."

I staggered up to the front. "Okay, so I uh did my project on Flynn Blaise Chaste. Who, unfortunately can't be with us today. You can start it."

There we were, sitting on Flynn's balcony, the sun shining brightly behind us. Flynn had dug out a microphone (that he had for some unknown reason) from his work room. I did it like a talk show, so the first thing I said was, "Hey, how are you?"

"I'm pretty chill, how are you?" His voice came through loud and clear. I smiled.

"Horrible." I had replied truthfully. That was the morning after my dad had... well, you know.

"I didn't ask for how you looked." He smirked at me, his eyes twinkling with mirth.

I groaned. "I hate projects."

"And I hate you but it looks like we both have to deal with things we hate in life."

I allowed myself to giggle along while the rest of the class burst out in laughter.

"You're an idiot."

"Excuse you." He snapped his fingers in a Z formation.

I rolled my eyes. "Let's get started."

"Okay, okay."

"What's your name?" I asked, wanting to facepalm myself when I realized how stupid that sounded.

He gasped. "You don't know who I am? That hurts, Madeline. That hurts."

"You know what I mean."

"No, I'm afraid I don't." He said with a poker face.

"Okay, we'll skip that part then." My voice sounded shaky. I hated the way my voice sounded in videos. "When's your birthday?"

"May 6, 1997."

"Good boy!" I clapped my hands in mock enthusiasm.

I heard a few snickers around the classroom before they were drowned out by the sound of my phone ringing. I blushed. "Sorry, I have to take this." The video continued to play as I stepped out of the class and into the hallway. I put the phone to my ear. "Hey, uh it's not a very good time. I'm-"