11 | Can I Tie Your Shoe?

«Madeline's POV»

Before I knew it, it was the morning of the party. The days flew by, really. I was freaking out, seeing as this was the first party I had been invited to. Or, at least told about. Thoughts were racing through my head like they were on a NASCAR speedway. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to dress for this party. I couldn't stop thinking about it, which started to get very annoying. But I haven't asked Flynn about it because I didn't want to bother him.

Whoa, what is this?!?! I DON'T want to bother him? Since when? I was starting to wonder if something was SERIOUSLY wrong with me. Whatever. I pull on my pants and tug on my combat boots to complete my outfit for school. Grabbing my backpack, I ran out the door to meet Flynn.

He looked out the open window up at me (at least I think he did, he was wearing shades) and said, "Ready for blast off in: 10, 9, 8, 7..." I opened the car door as fast as I could, knowing that he would actually take off without me. He did that once, cackling so loudly that I could hear it as he sped down the road leaving me in the dust. I, for one, did not think it was funny. AT ALL. I ignored him for the rest of the day, and let me just say, that was NOT an easy task.

"3, 2, 1!" He finished and we shot down the road. I guess you could do that with a Ferrari. I mean, I didn't know. The best car we had ever owned was an '88 Honda Civic. It was a hatchback--fancy, I know. I'm cool, I swear!

"Haha, not." Flynn said out of nowhere.

"Wait, what?" I asked, confused. Then it dawned on me. "Did I say that out loud?"

He nodded. "It really was quite funny."

"Quite? What are you? Some old english professor?" I tried to throw an insult at him, but hey. When it's six in the morning, you're not gonna be on your A game.

"What are you? One of the seven dwarves?"

Apparently Flynn could be on his A game at six in the morning.

"Thanks," Flynn said.

Dang it, was I thinking out loud again?

"Yep," Flynn answered my question.

"Why?"

"Because I'm not the one who's brilliantly stupid." He smartly replied. Oh, did I say smartly? I meant to say idiotically.

"Are you implying that I'm stupid?" I asked, mocking hurt.

"To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people, Madeline." Flynn spat playfully. He really was on his A+ game that day. I was just so tired, it was like my brain was incapable of functioning. Which sucked, because I had a test in AP Psych.

We pulled into the school and Flynn parked at his usual spot, where his fanclub awaited. His fanclub consisted mainly of, well...the entirety of the girls that populated the high school. Except me. Well, I was kind of the one who came WITH him. But that didn't mean I was part of the fanclub, right? I hoped not. The guys probably had me ranked as freaking President. It probably looked like I was clinging on to him, like a Koala to a tree. To the jealous girls of this school (by that I mean all of them) it looked like I came out of nowhere and stole their man. Yeah right.

Flynn linked his arm in mine and started skipping off to class. "Come on, Dorothy! Follow the white tiled hall!"

I groaned. "Not this again, Flynn!" He had tried to do that to me on Tuesday. I had refused.

"Of course this again, Dorothy!" He grinned.

If he wasn't this popular, the whole school would've ruled him out as the 'weirdo' that nobody could talk to. Instead Christine Grady got that title. How she earned it? She sat by herself in the empty field next to our lot picking dandelions. And EATING them. Talk about grotty.