22 | I Think About You Every Night

«Madeline's POV»

My eyes burned from the tears I was holding back. Flynn really didn't remember me? How could this happen? I needed to blame someone for this. Someone caused this. If it weren't for his dad...

Yes. This was all his fault. He was to blame. I needed to get on a flight to Connecticut and hit that man over the head with a shovel.

But, if it weren't for his dad, Flynn would've never moved to Kentucky. And I probably would've never experienced anything other than serving people at multiple jobs. For a while, that was all I knew. And Flynn showed me new things. He showed me that there was more to life. It was about time Flynn got up from that hospital bed and started singing "A Whole New World" to me.

They said Flynn needed to rest, so they told us to leave. So Gaige and I sat helplessly outside of the room, just waiting to be let in again. Gaige fell asleep from boredom, but I was wide awake.

I set my hand on the handle and slowly pushed downwards. The door swung open and I quietly scampered in. And when I saw him, peacefully sleeping on his bed-with no memories of me-I burst into tears. I couldn't hold them in any longer. I was trying to be strong for Flynn and Gaige, but now that they weren't awake there was no point. I cried and cried like there was no tomorrow.

Stumbling over to Flynn's bed, I caressed his scarred cheek. "Please remember me." I whispered and collapsed from sheer exhaustion.

My body racked with choked sobs as I clung onto the railing attached to the bed.

"Ma'am?" A doctor tapped on my shoulder. "You aren't supposed to be in here."

I picked myself up and staggered over to the door frame, leaning on it for support. "Just tell me this, what's the percentage that he won't remember me?"

"I can't say, honestly." The man replied. "We can't know. It just depends on whether or not the person, in the back of their mind, is determined to win. To keep fighting for the things that they knew once before. So it's just a matter of capability."

He brushed past me. "What's that supposed to mean?!" I asked, but he was already gone. It's just a matter of capability? What the hell was that supposed to mean?

I walked out of the room and slumped into the chair next to Gaige. A long day was ahead of us, because Gaige's parents were coming to claim custody of Flynn and get that matter settled. I was surprised they were doing this for Gaige, after... you know. But apparently they had been long-term friends and Flynn was already like a son to the Turners.

I gazed at the ground in misery. Why was this happening? What did I do to deserve this? Flynn was a good guy, honestly.

There's this saying that goes, 'Why do the worst things always happen to the best people?'

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the accuracy of this saying?

"Madeline?" Gaige asked groggily from beside me.

"Huh?" I turned to the side and rubbed my eyes.

"Flynn's going to remember you," He consoled. "He loved you, you know."

"Loved?" I whimpered.

"Sorry, bad choice of words. He loves you. Even though he never told me that, it's the way he looks at you. It's like he pictures you as the most precious thing in the world and he never wants to lose you. You're all he has left. And he will never, EVER let you go. Did you know, that he has never stayed with a girl longer than a week? He's been with you for a month. You, my friend, mean the world to him."

"Really?" I lifted my head up from it's position on the chair to shyly meet his gaze.

"I would never lie to you about that." Gaige looked me straight in the eye.