15 | If I were a stop light

«Madeline's POV»

Fawn and I awkwardly waited down in the lobby of the hospital. We weren't sure if we should go up or not. After half an hour, we were ready to storm the second floor, but then Gaige came lumbering down the stairs. "Flynn just passed out." He announced, and I could feel the blood drain from my face.

"Why?" I asked fearfully.

"They told him that his mom died. He broke a window, broke down crying, and then passed out. He's pretty stressed, as you can tell."

"No, sometimes people just pass out for fun," I deadpanned. "Of course he's stressed!"

"Should we go check on him?" I asked.

"Probably," Fawn and Gaige responded in sync. Then they looked at each other in surprise.

"Stop stealing what I'm saying!" Fawn giggled as Gaige claimed, "God, you just wish you were me."

Yeah, they 'didn't like each other'. I'm calling BS. "Stop flirting." I told them and stomped over to the elevator. If only Flynn would like ME back. Thanks, that'd be great. The only problem is, I've never kissed anyone before. What if I kissed like a dog? He definitely would dump me then, assuming we ever actually got to that. Which, we probably won't. It sucks to be me. My mom's dead, my dad and I are in a fight, my crush doesn't like me back‒in fact, he's currently passed out.

The only person I knew right then who DEFINITELY had it worse than me was my crush‒yes, I was admitting it. Flynn Blaise Chaste. His dad was halfway across the country‒out of his life because of cheating and lying, his mom died no less than fifteen minutes ago, he passed out, and he had no one to live with. He didn't have anybody. But, I planned to fix that. I strutted into the elevator, and then realized that I didn't know what room Flynn was in. The doors started to close. I shot my hand into the tiny opening that was left and the door retracted.

"Gaige!" I snatched his attention away from Fawn. "What room is he in?"

"Room 509!" He shouted over, and then turned back to Fawn. He had it bad, I could totally see it. I pressed the button labeled as five and listened to the dings as I went up. After the longest 40 seconds of my life, I stepped onto the fifth level and turned a left. I scanned the panels next to the mahogany doors. 503, 505, 507, 509! Gotcha! I thought and burst into the room.

The nurse who was peering closely at Flynn's face and turned to me. She was a pretty blonde with hazel eyes. She didn't look too much older than us. Maybe twenty. "Are you of significance to Mr. Chaste? Because otherwise, no one is allowed in here."

I thought fast. I had to stay with him. There was no other option. "I, uh.. I'm his girlfriend."

She gave me a once-over and then a doubtful look. "Why would you stutter?"

"Because you intimidate me?" I phrased it like a question.

That seemed to be the answer she was looking for because she flipped her hair and then sighed. "I guess you can come in."

I pulled up one of the grey chairs to the bedside and plopped down. "So when do you think he'll wake up?"

"Look, I find you REALLY annoying so I'm going to tell you then answer and leave you two alone for a few minutes. But when I come back, you need to be as quiet as a mouse." The nurse snapped.

"Okay..." I trailed off.

"We think he'll wake up anywhere from the time frame of five to ten minutes." She told me.

"Thanks."

She ignored me and steamed out the door. God, what was her problem? She was like the Meghan of the hospital. Gross. Feeling bold, I linked my hand through Flynn's. I squeezed it, as if for comfort, even though he wasn't awake.

But apparently he was because the next thing I knew he piped up, "Why are you holding my hand and why did you tell her we were dating?"

"AHH!" I screamed and dropped his hand immediately. "You're awake?!"

"Are you going to answer my question?" Flynn prompted.

"Well, I had to get in here somehow! I needed to know if you were ok. And also, I was holding your hand for comfort." He looked up at me, and we made eye contact. His beautiful sea green eyes were puffy and bloodshot. There were still tear stains running down his face, and his nose was red and stuffy. I now saw his vulnerable side--a side that I had never seen before. A side that he made sure to hide behind his walls. A side that he kept safe and locked up.

"Flynn-" I started, but he cut me off.

"I don't want to talk about it. Seriously. I REALLY, REALLY do not want to talk about it." He looked at me, and I saw that his eyes were clouded with pain. I looked down, and noticed that his hand and wrist were encased in a cast.

"What happened to your hand?!" I asked in concern.

"I punched a window, my hand started bleeding, I passed out, and they decided that I had broken my middle finger, thumb, and wrist." He informed me curtly.

"Oh. Okay." I said, really upset. Why won't he open up? Why is he shutting everybody out? This is not like him.

"Hey," Flynn grabbed my attention. "If I were a stop light..."

"You'd turn red every time I came by just to stare a little longer?"

"No, I'd turn green so I wouldn't have to deal with your ugly face," He said, and I began to laugh but it was quickly cut short when he said, "But seriously. Go away. I need to be alone."

"Oh," I said, feeling a little bit hurt. "Bye Flynn."

He didn't respond.

When I got downstairs, Fawn and Gaige surrounded me like like vultures on a dead animal. Okay, maybe not the best analogy but you're gonna have to deal with it. A jumble of questions tumbled out of their mouths, but I only answered one. The only one that I could actually decipher. Gaige had asked, "How'd it go?"

"Not good," I answered with a deep frown.

"Is he awake?"

"Yeah, you can go talk to him if you want but I'm going to warn you, it's not going to be a nice little talk. He's going to shut you out."

"Well, I'm going to try anyway," Gaige insisted. "I'm his best friend for a reason."

"Good luck." I grunted and walked out of the building, my thoughts still in deep turmoil.

All Flynn needed was a little time and space, then he'd be fine. Right?
-
But then a week passed and Flynn hadn't talked to me at all. I was positive he was ignoring me. Every time I saw him in class, he would find some way to avoid me. One way or another, he achieved that. Although he was probably going to have to talk to me today. Because today, we were presenting our projects. He volunteered to go first.

"Alright," Mr. Clyde bellowed."Flynn will go first, and Madeline will go stand up there next to him. At the end, they will answer any questions."

"Actually," Flynn spoke up. "I kind of wanted to present by myself."

"Okay..." Mr. Clyde trailed off. "I guess that's fine."

No! I wanted to scream. That's not fine! I was mad. I was mad at Flynn, I was mad at me, I was mad at Flynn's mom, I was mad at his dad, I was mad at Mr. Clyde, I was mad at the world. Why was he shutting everybody out? Why was Flynn so broken?

"Hey guys," Flynn called out to the talkative class. "I'm trying to present, so if you'd shut up that would be appreciated."

Everybody clamped their mouths shut immediately. Yeah, he had that kind of power. It was weird. "So I did my presentation on the fabulous Madeline Rose Schultz. Exhibit A," He pointed at me and the class buzzed with laughter. "And now for Exhibit B." He swung his arm towards the projector and pressed a button on the remote. The movie trailer started.

A/N: So yeah, that just happened.