25 | Do You Have A Twin Sister?

«Flynn's POV»

I didn't see how breaking in to a cell phone store in the middle of the night was going to get my memories back, but I wasn't about to question their motives.

Okay, maybe I was. "Why are we even here?" I moaned, shuddering from the brisk wind. "This isn't going to make me remember anything. Why are we breaking in? Isn't that illegal?"

"It's not illegal if you have the keys." Madeline held up a golden keychain with several keys dangling from it.

"How do you even have those?" I asked. Did she steal those too? Maybe I shouldn't trust her. How are we supposed to know she's not an ax murderer?

"I worked here, and they supplied us with a set of keys. I just never gave mine back."

"So they're stolen?"

"Calm down, Goody-Two-Shoes," Gaige cut in. "She'll most likely return them sooner or later. So, let's get a move on."

Madeline inserted the biggest key into the lock and twisted it to the right. We were in.

"Okay," Gaige instructed. "Madeline, go over to the counter. Flynn, stand by the door. Let's do this."

Madeline and I took our places, while I was wondering how the hell this was actually going to help.

"Flynn!" Gaige addressed me and droned on about what I was supposed to see. Honestly, I just wanted to wait until my memory came back. I mean, I get it, the ladies love me. But what was so special about this one? Was this all just a fiasco for her to get my attention?

I recalled my line and casually walked up to Madeline. "I think something is wrong with my phone." I announced.

"What seems to be the problem?" She asked.

"It doesn't have your number in it." I grinned.

"Looks like it'll have to stay broken, because I can't help you there." She stated bluntly.

"I guess I'll just leave then, and make sure to leave a complaint about..." I looked at her nametag, like Gaige had ordered me to. "Madeline."

"No! Wait!" She called, whipping out a pen from what seemed like the middle of nowhere. She scrawled some numbers on my palm.

As she was writing, I asked, "Are you from Tennessee?"

"Why? Because I'm the only ten you see?" She challenged.

"Nah," I said confidently. "You're more like a five or six."

She glared at me.

"By the way, the name's Flynn. Flynn Chaste." I said and walked out of the store, like we rehearsed.

"So that's how you guys met!" Gaige popped out from behind a shelf. "Do you remember?"

"Was I supposed to?" I questioned. "That was literally the dumbest thing I've ever done."

"Oh." His face fell. "I'm really trying, man. You loved her, I swear."

"I've never loved a girl my entire life." I insisted.

"This girl is different," Gaige argued back. "I don't know why you denied writing that passage from your journal. It's YOURS. Nobody else has ever written in it, or even known about it. Not even me."

"Well, she knew about it!" I pointed to Madeline. "How am I supposed to know she didn't forge it or something?"

"You know, Flynn," Gaige looked me straight in the eye. "Sometimes you can be such an ass."

I narrowed my eyes, upset that he was accusing me for something I didn't do. "I lost my memories, okay? You can't just expect them to all come back in the blink of an eye. You heard the doctor, didn't you? They'll come back to me naturally. He said to give me hints and triggers. I'll remember in time, and I'm not sure that this is the best way to go about it. He said that if you tell me everything, it'll be too much. So, I'm sorry that I'm being such an ass for not remembering an event. I'll be going now."

I took off into a sprint, not knowing where I was going. Gaige didn't bother chasing after me, as he knew that I was faster than him. I could hear Madeline shouting something in the background, but I ignored her. I needed time to cool off.

"Flynn!" I heard a voice yell from behind me. "It's me, Meghan!"

Who the fuck is Meghan? I stopped and turned around to face a bright pink VW bug. A blonde was leaning out the window and smiling seductively. Or at least she thought it was seductive.

"Um, hi?" Was she like a past girlfriend? Did we...? Nope.

"Where have you been? The whole school has missed you. You've been gone for like an entire month!"

"I had, uh, a family crisis." I lied. "Well, it was nice seeing you, but I have to go mow my garden." I wanted to give myself a huge slap in the face. Mow your garden? What the hell?

"You're so funny, oh my gosh!" She squealed. "Come on, get in the car."

"I'm meeting somebody," I started to turn around so I could head back to where Gaige and Madison--Madeline were.

"You came from that way." Meghan pointed out.

"I just realized I was going the wrong way." I countered.

"Let me give you a ride." Meghan offered.

"I'm fine, really."

"Get in the car." She ordered, an imposing look on her face.

"Uh, okay?" I jogged over to the passenger side and reluctantly hopped in. I didn't want to be seen in a pink car.

"Where are you going?" She looked over at me.

"Gaige Turner's." I answered. "It's over in-"

"I know where it is." She cut me off. "He and I had a fling, remember?"

Was I supposed to actually keep track of all Gaige's flings? He never even told me about half of them anyway. "Sure." I agreed vaguely just so hopefully she wouldn't say anything else.

It didn't work, unfortunately.

"So, are you and Madeline...you know, a thing?" Meghan asked timidly.

"Did you think we were?" I asked. If everybody thought that, maybe she had been a part of my life. An important one, at that.

"Come on, the whole school thought you guys were together. You did everything as a pair. Your fan club was devastated. I was devastated."

This just got a whole lot more awkward. "Sorry...?" I wasn't sure if I was supposed to apologize or just ignore it.

Fortunately, we arrived at Gaige's house before she had the chance to say anything else. "Thanks for the ride!" I yelled and darted into Gaige's house.

"What the hell were you doing with Meghan Anderson?" Gaige questioned as soon as I stepped foot through the door.

"She yelled at me to get in her car! I-we didn't do anything!" I yelped.

"Good," He said. "Now I believe you owe someone an apology, for leaving them behind."

Madeline stepped out from behind him and gave me a weak smile.

"Sorry," I began. "But do you have a twin sister?"

She rolled her eyes, but her smile stretched to her eyes. "If not, then I must be the most beautiful girl in the world?"

"No, I was going to say thank goodness nobody else has to deal with having that face."

"Shut up, Chaste," Madeline grinned and shrugged off my jacket. "Here's your coat."

"Keep it."

A/N: yo i actually got the chapter out... are you proud? no? okay.

absolutely beautiful banner to the side by @midnightreading thanks so much!

20 votes to the next chapter bc the procrastination is real