08 | I Sneezed Because...

«Flynn's POV»

I sat listening intently as Madeline basically poured her heart out to me. "Wow," I said once she finished.

"Yeah," She said. "Just don't treat me any different."

"I won't," I said. "I promise."

She smiled. "We should probably work on what we came here for."

"Good idea. Whoa, since when do you have good ideas?" I teased.

"Chaste, the day you have a good idea will be the day Spongebob gets his license-never."

I grinned and slowly started to clap.

"Flynn-8, Madeline-3." She said proudly.

"Okay moving on to the questions," I prompted.

"What's your least favorite color? I never got it earlier." Madeline asked.

"Gray," I said just to spite her.

She rolled her eyes but wrote it down anyway.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" I inquired.

"Therapist. You?"

"Don't laugh, but I'm considering taking up acting." I confided in her.

"Why would I laugh?" She asked.

"You seem to laugh at me a lot." I said.

"You seem to hate on me a lot." She retorted.

"You seem to call me stupid a lot." I smiled, enjoying it.

"We need to stop arguing." She ordered.

"Fine, but I'm counting that." I told her, grinning innocently.

She groaned. "How am I supposed to make a comeback if you give yourself points for the stupidest things?!"

"Twenty five minutes, Madeline!" Another waitress called out.

"We have to hurry up." Madeline relayed to me.

"I know, I'm not deaf."

"How many kids do you want to have?"

"Is that even a question on here?" I flipped through the packet.

"Nah, I just asked that for fun." She remarked, her voice sweating buckets of sarcasm.

"You know we're on a tight schedule, Madeline. From now on, only ask questions on the packet."

Her face turned red with anger and frustration.

"Two," I said.

"What?" Madeline asked, looking up.

"That's the answer."

"Oh, same." She smiled, all previous anger gone.

Out of nowhere, I sneezed. "I just sneezed-"

"Because God blessed you with me, I know."

"Blessed?" I asked indignantly. "More like cursed." I laughed so hard at the sour look she shot me.

Suddenly, there was a loud rapping on the window. A bunch of cheerleaders were peering into the restaurant. A tall blonde was glaring at Madeline and made a cut-throat motion.

"Off with your head!" I yelled, attracting quite a bit of attention.

Then the blonde looked over at me. She winked and made a 'call me' motion with her hand. I made eye contact with Madeline and proceeded to pretend to gag myself. She giggled, and the blonde turned away in a huff.

"That was Meghan," Madeline filled me in.

"The one who claimed me?" I asked.

"Yeah."

Fifteen argument free minutes later (whoa, has the world ended yet?), the packet was filled out and I was walking back to my car. I was thinking about Madeline's family situation. If I offered help, would she accept it? No, probably not. Her pride would get in the way.

I drove through town, taking turns aimlessly while I thought. My mom wouldn't care if I was out late; she wasn't even home half the time.

And soon enough, it was like I was eight again.

-

Mom had taken me out to soccer practice, but she was going to pick me up early so we could surprise Dad. I told all my friends about how we were going to go buy him a cake for his birthday. I was so psyched.

We went to the local bakery and picked out his favorite-triple chocolate. Mom was so excited. She had a bright light shining in her eyes and she was constantly smiling. She even sped a little on the way home, and she wasn't the type to rebel.

Mom quietly opened the front door--and that was when disaster struck. She gasped and dropped the cake then quickly covered my eyes before I could see anything.

"Robb?" She whimpered.

"Charlotte!" He yelps. "You weren't supposed to be home for another thirty minutes!"

"We were gonna surprise you," Mom whispered, uncovering my eyes.

Dad was standing in front of me with a red-haired woman next to him.

"Who's that?" I asked, pointing to the unfamiliar woman.

"Come on honey," My mom grabbed ahold of my hand while pulling me away from them and towards the door.

Little did I know, we were leaving forever.

My mom was never the same. The light in her eyes was put-out, completely gone. Possibly never to be seen again. She invested herself in her work, never paying attention to anyone or anything else-even me. I can't remember the last time we had a proper conversation.

As I pulled into my driveway, the only thing I was thinking was:

I'm so lonely.

A/N: And I'm so deep.

*fifth grader yells in the background* YEAH, FIVE INCHES DEEP IN YOUR MOM!

and this chapter is dedicated to @tanushah for the AMAZING banner to the side. ily!