12 | Baby You're like the Ocean (Part 1)

«Flynn's POV»

I stared in horror as my mom broke apart from the guy who was supposedly Madeline's father. This COULD NOT be happening. My mother, who said she would NEVER love again, was kissing the father of the girl who I was trying to win over. Just one question: what the hell is this?!

"Oh, hey Flynn," Mom said.

"Don't 'oh hey Flynn' me, Mom." I muttered. "It'd be nice if you came more often, and WITHOUT your boy-toys."

She looked hurt. "Flynn? What is up with your behavior?!"

There was so much pent-up anger inside of me that I didn't even notice Madeline and her father slip out the door.

"You said that you wouldn't ever date anybody again!" I informed her sharply.

"Things change, Flynn." Mom replied calmly.

"Yeah, like the amount of attention you give your son." I glared at her, now truly upset.

"Flynn!" Mom exclaimed. "You know how busy I am at work!"

"Probably making out with your coworkers." I muttered.

"Flynn Blaise Chaste-"

"Marianne Allison Olsen," I cut her off. "How old am I?"

"Uh..." She trailed off. "Fifteen?"

"Wrong, Mom," I said, with tears (unfortunately) springing to my eyes. "Seventeen."

"Sweetie, I-" She started.

"Don't 'sweetie' me. When was the last time you talked to me?"

"I don't remember."

"Exactly five months and six days ago." I said, tears falling freely now. I was kind of embarrassed, but at the same time I felt relieved to get them out.

She looked stricken.

"And by the way, Mom? The daughter of the guy you're dating? The girl I like. Thanks for that." And with that, I stormed up to my room.

Okay, so maybe that was overly-dramatic. For the record, I didn't like Madeline-but there was no way that Madeline was going to be my sister. Ew. I said that because it was the least that my mom could do. I mean, other than actually take some time to sit down and talk to me. Yeah, that'd be nice. A lot more thoughts swirled around in my head as I collapsed and fell into a deep sleep.

The next morning I woke up super early. I laid in my bed for two hours thinking about me and my mom's argument. I felt extremely guilty, but then again it felt good to get it all off my chest. I glanced at the clock-6:15. I should probably get dressed and go get Madeline now, I thought. Sluggishly pushing myself out of bed, I threw on some random clothes hoping I didn't look like a hippie and ran down the stairs. I grabbed a breakfast bar and ran out the door. I shoved it all in my mouth while I clambered into the car probably looking super attractive. Either way, girls want me.

You wish, I could imagine Madeline telling me. Yeah, we kind of have a love-hate relationship, except without the love part. So I guess you could call it a hate-hate relationship. It was then that I realized that it was Saturday, so I didn't have to go over to Madeline's. But even though I didn't have to, I wanted to. I had to make sure she was okay.

Before I knew it, I had arrived in front of Madeline's house. A small girl who looked to be around 7 or 8 years old was waiting on the front steps. I guessed that she was probably Madeline's sister. I can't remember her name though. Oops.

I hopped out of the car and casually walked up to the little girl.

"My Dad told me to tell you that Madeline's not going anywhere today." The girl spoke up as I approached.

"Really?" I asked, remembering last night. "Is she okay?"

All the worst scenarios were flashing through my head. I had to check on Madeline.

"Um," There was a lengthy pause. "I'm not allowed to tell anybody what happened."

"What's your name?" I asked the girl.

"Lux," She answered with a toothy smile. "I'm eleven years old."

"Eleven years old?! Dang, you're practically an adult!" I exclaimed and she giggled. "Now, Lux, am I allowed to go in and see Madeline?"

Lux frowned. "Daddy said no people are allowed in."

"Please, just this one time? Madeline is like my best friend and I need to know if she's okay." I pleaded.

"Fine, but only since you're her friend. Madeline's not very good at making friends, you know that? She hasn't had a play date with anyone in a LONG time." Lux said and skipped up the steps to open the door.

As I trudged into their house, I could tell something was wrong. Instead of seeing a nice, orderly house like the last time I saw, everything was a wreck. A lamp was shattered on the floor a few feet away from the main hallway.

This was NOT good.

"Madeline?" Lux called out. "Can you come here for a minute?"

When I saw Madeline, I wanted to punch somebody. Not just anybody, but the person who did THAT to her. Why would anybody hurt Madeline?

A/N: So I really had the urge to stop it there so now this is part one and yeah. YOU'RE WELCOME! ily but you probably don't love me rn