07 | Don't You Need a License?

(Meghan to the side-->)

«Madeline's POV»

That day I had blown off the cheerleader's invite to dinner, saying I had a "family emergency" but I really had work. Technically, it was a family emergency that I got my job done. I felt really bad that I couldn't go, but duty called. Family first-that's what my mother used to say.

A large group of girls walked into the restaurant. "Madeline, get that table will you?" Evelyn, another waitress asked.

"I-I can't," I said firmly.

"But I'm busy over here," Evelyn whined. "You need to get that table."

I'm so massively screwed, I thought and walked over to the table.

"How may I help you?" I asked in a bored tone.

"OMG! Madeline, what are you doing here? I thought you had a family emergency!" Meghan, the head cheerleader, gasped. "Did you LIE to us, Madeline?"

"Technically-" I started.

"Come on girls," Meghan said, getting up. "Let's go to a different restaurant. Oh, and Maddie, hon. Stay away from Flynn. He's my man."

My fists clenched as she said the name Maddie. My mother, only my mother, had been allowed to call me that. Now that she was gone, so was that nickname.

Great, I realized. The cheerleaders were going to spread rumors. That was what they did.

My phone buzzed. It was a text from an unknown number, but I knew it was Flynn immediately.

Flynn-8, Madeline-2. Who's brilliantly stupid now? It read.

Still you. I replied.

In your dreams. He soon texted back. My phone buzzed again. Where are you?

The Grub Shack until 9. Why? I responded, unsure as to why he was asking.

We never finished our assignment. He texted back. I'll be there in 20.

Great, I thought, now he's coming to another one of my jobs. Next thing I know, he'll be showing up at the retirement community! Then he'll be wondering why I work so much. And I don't want to tell him about my situation at home.

Twenty minutes later, true to his word, Flynn strode into the restaurant and waited to be seated.

"I'm sure you'll be happy to go seat that boy," Evelyn teased.

"Actually, Ev, he's here for me." I informed her.

"What?" She almost screamed. "My baby girl's got a boy!"

I groaned, but I loved Evelyn. She was like a mother to me. She was fifty years old with all her children out and off to college-grown up.

"I'll cover your shift for an hour," She gushed. "Go sit with him!"

I walked over, and as we sat down, he asked, "Don't you need a license?"

"To be this pretty?"

"Nah, to be that hideous." He smirked. I stuck my tongue out at him.

"So, how have you been in the past two hours?" Flynn asked.

"Terrible," I answered truthfully.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Flynn had a concerned look on his face. Did he actually care?

I thought about it, and realized that I actually did. "Yeah," I admitted.

"So, what happened?" He asked, leaning forward.

"All the cheerleaders are against me now," I sighed.

He raised an eyebrow.

"I lied and they found out, so now they're gonna spread rumors. Also, Meghan said to stay away from you because you're hers." I informed him.

"Wait," Flynn said, looking confused. "Who's Meghan?"

I had to laugh at that. "No one important."

"Well why did you lie to them? I'm sure it was for a good reason, right?" Flynn persisted.

"So they invited me out to a dinner thing, and they wouldn't let me say no until I said I had a family emergency. Which technically is true because I NEED to work-" I cut myself off before I gave away anything else.

"It's okay," He said sincerely. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to."

Realization spread through me as I came to a conclusion: I wanted to tell Flynn. And before I knew it, I was telling my worst enemy the story that I'd only ever told one person before.

A/N: oh snap

CRACKLE POP

dedicated to @SavannaghHoranxx2003 for the support! thanks!