03 | Did it Hurt?

(Flynn to the side-->)

«Madeline's POV»

I got home, still grinning from Flynn and I's playful banter in the car. Well, friendly debate. Okay, maybe it was a full fledged argument. But it was so fun, it was great to finally have someone who could match my sarcasm.

Get on my level.

It was super late, almost ten. I wondered why Flynn was still there. Was he waiting for me? No, that couldn't be possible. Why would he wait for me, of all people?

Oh, right. He didn't know my real story.

••••••

When I was eight years old, my mom died giving birth to my younger sister, Lux. So it was just me, Lux, and my Dad. We lived in a small one-story rental home. In a year, we probably wouldn't be able to afford even that.

My Dad had lost his job the month before. He'd been trying hard to get a new one, but so far nobody had called back from the interviews.

And that left me to take care of all of us.

I actually worked three jobs.

AT&T on Saturday and Sunday, waitress at our local restaurant--The Grub Shack--Monday through Friday, and finally, I worked at the retirement facility during my free period. It was really stressful, and I only got minimal amounts of sleep due to a reoccurring nightmare.

••••••

I woke up, heart pounding in my ears, drenched in sweat. The nightmare struck. Again. I checked my clock; it was 5:30 AM. Not too bad, the last time it had woke me up at 2 o'clock.

I clambered out of bed, and made my way to our one shower.

Once I was done, I made myself some toast and headed out the door, ready for the five mile walk to school.

You guessed it, we didn't have a car anymore. We had to sell it some time before. Lux caught the school bus, I walked, and Dad stayed at home trying to find a job. It all worked out. At least, for the most part.

I had gotten about seven blocks down, when suddenly I heard a honk to my left. I glanced over and saw Flynn sitting there in all his glory.

"What are you waiting for?" He yelled over the music blasting from the speakers. "Get in!"

He probably would have held up the whole traffic line if I didn't do what he said, so I ran over and obliged.

"Did it hurt?" He asked once I got settled.

I had heard this one before. A LOT. "When I fell from Heaven?" I asked.

"No," He said with mock disgust. "What I was trying to say is, did it hurt when you crawled up from Hell?"

Despite myself, I had to laugh at that. "What, did it take you like a year to come up with that one? Are you even capable of using your brain? Do you ever wonder what life would be like if you had gotten enough oxygen at birth?"

I mentally high-fived myself.

"Do you ever wonder what life would be like if you had grown past the stage of a twelve year old?" He asked.

Okay, one does not simply make fun of my height. I'm a solid five feet, I swear!

"Are you always this stupid, or are you making a special effort today?" I teased.

"Only for you, darling." He smirked and stopped the car. That's when I realized we were already at school. He got out of the car and walked around to my side, proceeding to open the door for me.

"You know what?" He said.

"What?" I asked irritably.

"You should hold my hand."

"Hold your own hand." I deadpanned.

He grinned and took a hold of my hand. In turn, I slapped it LIKE A BOSS and walked away, hips swinging, to class.

A/N: *tries to do a karate-like move but falls on face*

*tries to get life together but falls on face*

also tbh this chapter is shorter too but the chapters get progressively longer so we good

probably