30 - Olivia

30 - Olivia

We settled on a small diner that was nearby the library. I sent a text to Emmalyn, just to check she had arrived home okay. Scott was already picking a table out, eager to keep on working. We still had some time to finish the project, but he seemed keen on finishing it as soon as possible. I had never seen so much determination on a teenager –and I was friends with one of the most dedicated girls in town.

'Hello, good evening. What can I get for you?' the middle-aged waitress asked with a pencil and a pad ready on her hands.

'I won't get anything, thank you,' Scott said right away.

'You sure?' I asked. Even I was hungry, and that was saying something.

'Yeah, didn't bring any money with me,' he said to me in a lower voice. The waitress was already looking in another direction; someone else was waiting for her.

'I'll be back when you're ready to order,' she said half-mindedly.

When she left I turned to look at Scott. 'I can pay for you, if you want,' I offered.

'No, it's okay.'

'Come on, it's almost dinner time. You'll pay for the next one, if that's what you're worried about.'

He gazed at me for a moment and bit his lips as he debated. 'Alright, just for this time. I'll pay for the next one.'

'Alright, so that's settled. What should we get?' I asked as I peered through the menu. There was a voice at the back of my head telling me not to eat anything. Everything in the menu had so many calories that I was sure my mom and the ballet instructor would kill me if they found out. It was liberating to find out that I no longer cared.

'I'll get the waffles.' Scott looked up at me. 'What about you?'

I let a mischievous small take over my features. 'Me too.'

*

I parked my car in the school's parking lot. My backpack was on the seat beside me, on Emmalyn's lap, and I grabbed it, hauling it off after me. It was heavier than it had ever been before. Lately I had found myself caring for school, for grades and for doing a good job. That would surely make my dad proud of me, and it was all I cared about anymore.

'Man, we should have gotten some coffee on the way,' she said between yawns as she got off the car as well.

I was not paying attention to her. Just a couple of steps in front of me was Tobias Claxton, looking carefree and happy. I tensed up right away. As if sensing my gaze on him, he looked up and our gazes locked.

He stared at me for a couple of seconds and then smiled. I took a step back. I could hear Emmalyn talking to me, but I could not make out words. Then, Tobias started walking up to me. I held my backpack to my chest, wanting to throw it at him. Before I could do it, he was standing right in front of me and Emmalyn had come to stand by my side.

'Hi, Olivia, right?'

I just stared at him, unable to speak. All I could see when I saw him were hospital rooms, Anna lying on a bed looking pale and a doctor apologizing for not being able to help any further.

'I'm Tobias,' he said, looking a bit confused but still smiling. 'You're in my Physics class, aren't you? With Mr. Jenkins?'

'Yeah, she takes that class,' Emmalyn replied for me, oblivious to what I was thinking or feeling. Well, how could she? I had never shared any of this with her.

'Oh, right. Tobias, nice to meet you.'

'Emmalyn.' They shook hands politely and then Tobias returned his attention to me.